Richmond Park sunrise

Sewinman
Sewinman Posts: 2,131
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
I know a few of you ride through RP everyday. I have a sportive in 5 weeks and was wondering at what time RP was feasable in the morning to do a lap. Sunrise is currently around 7.45am, but it gets lightish before that. Very dark would depress me, so would prefer it to be getting light.

Any opinion?

Comments

• Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Richmond Park at night, or early in the morning, when it is closed to cars is a joy. I love riding down the middle line. Good lights needed to avoid the deer, but don't let the dark put you off. If you really need daylight, any time after 0730 at the moment.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I've ridden there 'after hours', no reason you can't go earlier with lights.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Riding round RP on a clear day at sunrise/sunset is a fantastic experience.

What's the sportive, Sewinman? Good luck.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    edited January 2011
    I'll ask the guy I see sitting cross legged next to his bike every morning watching the sun rise over Pen Ponds. If anyone is likely to know then he will.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    JonGinge wrote:
    Riding round RP on a clear day at sunrise/sunset is a fantastic experience.

What's the sportive, Sewinman? Good luck.

Thanks for all the comments. I will give it a try after 7 and see how it goes.

JG- It is the Spring Onion around Leatherhead. I did it last year and it was a really nice route.
  • I avoid RP in the pitch black. But I often ride through around 6:30am at the mo and find it fine with normal lights.

Haven't seen a decent sunrise for a few weeks mind.
  • Asprilla wrote:
    I'll ask the guy I see sitting cross legged next to his bike every morning watching the sun rise over Pen Ponds. If anyone is likely to know then he will.

There were two of them in the winter. Are they stoners?
  • Is RP always open to cyclists, no matter the time of day/night?
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • asprilla
    King Donut wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

There were two of them in the winter. Are they stoners?

No idea. There was only one there this morning, just staring. I'm thinking about stopping every morning to ask if he's ok, just to be annoying.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Is RP always open to cyclists, no matter the time of day/night?
    The ped gates are always open except during the culls.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Is RP always open to cyclists, no matter the time of day/night?

Except during the cull, yes. Just use the pedestrian gates.
    I confirmed this in person with a warden who was locking up the other night. Cyclists welcome at all times.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • I think you have to get there pretty damn early to avoid the cars completely - I was there at 7am the other day and they were just opening the gates. The traffic was pretty quiet until 8, though, so it was an absolutely lovely ride - deer / views / etc.

First lap was in the half light and then on full light.

Definitely worth going - perked me up for the day!
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Sewinman wrote:
    Very dark would depress me,

Around 7pm at night its dark but not pitch black and there is the benefit of no cars (think they are locked out from around 4.30pm).

I prefer cycling round it at this time, other than the descent down Broomfield Hill which I find hard to judge and the occassional blinding lights from other cyclists.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Cull is about to start again though: First Monday in February, for up to 6 weeks (typically it ends up being more like 4). During the cull the ped gates open at the same time as the vehicle gates (currently 7.30) though they stay open in the evening until (from memory) 8-ish.

Ham vehicle gate has been open by 7-ish every morning this week, just starting to get light at that time...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    On a clearer day, you can usually see a lovely sunrise heading through the middle of the Park from Ham Gate to the Ballet School.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    Just buy decent lights and remember to dim them when heading towards other cyclists, if others blind you, make sure you shout at them.

Last night I decided to cycle straight at one to prove a point, he wasn't too pleased.
  • iPete
    georgee wrote:
    Just buy decent lights and remember to dim them when heading towards other cyclists, if others blind you, make sure you shout at them.

Last night I decided to cycle straight at one to prove a point, he wasn't too pleased.

y-so-srs-2.jpg
  • asprilla
    iPete wrote:
    georgee wrote:

y-so-srs-2.jpg

TBH it's one of my bug-bears as well. RP is full of arseholes intent of lighting up the airpace around them for 200m in every direction them rather than the 3m of road immediately in front of them that they actually need.

Inconsiderate twunts, the lot of them.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I think you have to get there pretty damn early to avoid the cars completely - I was there at 7am the other day and they were just opening the gates. The traffic was pretty quiet until 8, though, so it was an absolutely lovely ride - deer / views / etc.

First lap was in the half light and then on full light.

Definitely worth going - perked me up for the day!

http://www.royalparks.org.uk/docs/richm ... _times.pdf
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Asprilla wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    georgee wrote:

y-so-srs-2.jpg

TBH it's one of my bug-bears as well. RP is full of arseholes intent of lighting up the airpace around them for 200m in every direction them rather than the 3m of road immediately in front of them that they actually need.

+1, its actually quite dangerous. Some of them seem to be brighter than car lights. Its ridiculous.
  • iPete
    It'd bug me & I turn mine down on the rare occasion I'm in the park late at night but I wouldn't cycle at anyone!
  • asprilla
    notsoblue wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    georgee wrote:

y-so-srs-2.jpg

+1, its actually quite dangerous. Some of them seem to be brighter than car lights. Its ridiculous.

I was cycling towards a car with a cyclist behind at Ham Cross the other night and all was well with the world, but when the car turned off I was exposed to the cyclist behind's lights and I couldn't see a chuffing thing.

Problem is that it completely destroys any semblance of night vision that you might have.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3