FG riders...

2»

Comments

• _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    _Brun_ wrote:
    Fucksticks, I've measured my calves and it appears the right is 5mm larger in circumference that the left.

I feel like a complete abomination

Well you had to find out sooner or later.
    Putting a positive spin on it, at least I'm a right-handed abomination with not unreasonably disproportionate calves.
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    Sketchley wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Brun, I think you can relax if you are right handed.

Normal people (right side dominant) use their right hand/foot in preference to their left and it becomes more developed.
    Weirdos (left side dominant freaks) use their left hand/foot in preference to their right and that side becomes more developed.

I remember hearing that if a right side dominant person attempts to walk in a straight line across a featureless landscape, they will gradually drift to the left because their right leg is stronger and pushes them ever so slightly to the left and the reverse is true for a freak (leftie).

I've just measured my calves My right calf is also ~5mm bigger and I don't ride fixed.

Interesting, I’m left handed. When I stop I unclip right foot so a pull away pushing down with left foot first. It just feels right. I've tried it the other way and it feels wrong, yet I notice I'm in minority at lights as most people are left foot down. Is this because I'm left handed?

Not measured anything (well not since I was 15…) but I wonder if calf difference is to do with the pedal you push down on first when pulling away, particularly on fixed gear when you are going to need a larger force when pulling away due to gearing.

Hmm interesting, I'm right handed but when I'm at the lights I unclip my right foot and push off with my left.
  • Surely you all just track-stand and wait out the lights?

Conciously swap feet until it's natural to use the foot that's most appropriate.

My old sparring instructor blew a whistle and you had to change stance, as a result I can be beaten up in either stance now!
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Nickel wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Brun, I think you can relax if you are right handed.

Normal people (right side dominant) use their right hand/foot in preference to their left and it becomes more developed.
    Weirdos (left side dominant freaks) use their left hand/foot in preference to their right and that side becomes more developed.

I remember hearing that if a right side dominant person attempts to walk in a straight line across a featureless landscape, they will gradually drift to the left because their right leg is stronger and pushes them ever so slightly to the left and the reverse is true for a freak (leftie).

I've just measured my calves My right calf is also ~5mm bigger and I don't ride fixed.

Interesting, I’m left handed. When I stop I unclip right foot so a pull away pushing down with left foot first. It just feels right. I've tried it the other way and it feels wrong, yet I notice I'm in minority at lights as most people are left foot down. Is this because I'm left handed?

Not measured anything (well not since I was 15…) but I wonder if calf difference is to do with the pedal you push down on first when pulling away, particularly on fixed gear when you are going to need a larger force when pulling away due to gearing.

Hmm interesting, I'm right handed but when I'm at the lights I unclip my right foot and push off with my left.

Same here. I think its a legacy of learning to ride in a garden with a small wall around the perimeter and always doing anti-clockwise circuits.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!