Wiggle breached again?

wolfsbane2k
wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
Hello all wiggle users.

Not quite sure where to post this but thought this was as good as any since I use wiggle to support my commuting habit!
I've just received an email to an email address that is only ever used to do business with wiggle that was a directed spear phishing attack pretending to be facebook.

has anyone else received spam email like this in the last day or 2?

I've forwarded it on to webmaster at wiggle requesting an investigation but not holding my breath.

[/quote]
Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...

Comments

• Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    No and I have used Wiggle for a purchase every week this year so far :oops:
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    billions of spam messages get pinged around every day, even if you don't use the address for anything else, I'm sure theres a chance you'll get spammed still...
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Nope, nothing that Google wouldn't filter automatically.
    Email address receives spam email shocker seems a bit too circumstantial for Wiggle to be able to do anything.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    dhope wrote:
    Nope, nothing that Google wouldn't filter automatically.
    Email address receives spam email shocker seems a bit too circumstantial for Wiggle to be able to do anything.

Wiggle are clearly to blame for this...
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Wiggle must be to blame....calling Speed_king to forum
  • dhope
    JZed wrote:
    calling Speed_king to forum

:lol::lol:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    good luck, I'm still waiting for the royal family of nigeria to respond to my many requests for a refund after one of their princes swindled me out of my life savings :(
    Hat + Beard
  • cambs
    cambs Posts: 235
    I have a Wiggle-only address too. No spam on it so far.

Champneys.co.uk on the other hand... grrr.
  • jzed
    hatbeard wrote:
    good luck, I'm still waiting for the royal family of nigeria to respond to my many requests for a refund after one of their princes swindled me out of my life savings :(

You too :shock: ...bummer
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    hatbeard wrote:

I've dealt with this before with great success, if you transfer £2000 to my bank account in Bermuda I can get you your money back guaranteed. PM me for details: D
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    notsoblue wrote:

Reasons why it is (possibly) nothing to do with Wiggle

1) WhereeverWolfsbane2k has the email address registered has a leak of new addresses
    2) Wolfsbane2k's PC has some kind of malware on it
    3) The relay Wolfsbane2k uses to receive email is compromised

One day people will realise that they don't understand how the Internet works just because they use Facebook. Until that day please ignore claims of this sort...
  • hatbeard
    vorsprung wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    One day people will realise that they don't understand how the Internet works just because they use Facebook. Until that day please ignore claims of this sort...

one day people will realise he was referencing the speed_king thread where the worlds ills were (incorrectly) attributed to wiggle in mimicry of speed_king's exasperated accusations that they'd sold him a dodgy used bike based on the opinions of his 'mate' mechanic.

although if we were being serious then yes your suggestions are sound for what could possibly have happened. but nsb was just joking in this instace :D
    Hat + Beard
  • dhope
    vorsprung wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

1) WhereeverWolfsbane2k has the email address registered has a leak of new addresses

Whoosh
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • notsoblue
    vorsprung wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

I'll have you know that I am an advanced user of not only Facebook, but also Myspace, Friendster, AOL and Orkut. I know my way round the internet, sir.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I must admit I did have a panic moment over Wiggle recently

I noticed that I was suddenly a Gold level member recently even though I hadn't bought much, and no I hadn't done the usual "not realised how much I'd bought and Oh hell is that the bill???" moment

It turned out that because they'd sent the wrong item, which I returned; they refunded me the amount but then reinvoiced me for the right item.

This meant that I hit the Gold level purchase limit because the total of my purchases went over the limit, they don't seem to count refunds.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • dhope
    notsoblue wrote:
    I know my way round the internet, sir.

internets, not internet :roll:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497

I noticed that I was suddenly a Gold level member recently even though I hadn't bought much, and no I hadn't done the usual "not realised how much I'd bought and Oh hell is that the bill???" moment

It turned out that because they'd sent the wrong item, which I returned; they refunded me the amount but then reinvoiced me for the right item.

This meant that I hit the Gold level purchase limit because the total of my purchases went over the limit, they don't seem to count refunds.
    Wiggle should apologise, at the very least!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    alfablue wrote:

Wiggle should apologise, at the very least!

I did get the right item by return of post.... (charged twice, refunded once - Wiggle membership status is based on total purchases and seems to ignore refunds. Would anyone like me to make this an even clearer hint? :wink: )
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • hatbeard
    When they cancelled my order for marathon winters that was removed from my discount total (total spending in past year: £5.86 :shock: )
    Hat + Beard
  • jzed
    Whats with the email accounts set up specifically for Wiggle? So her indoors misses the cycle purchases?
  • notsoblue
    JZed wrote:
    Whats with the email accounts set up specifically for Wiggle? So her indoors misses the cycle purchases?

Another marriage wrecked by Wiggle. Have they no remorse? I demand reparations.
  • hatbeard
    notsoblue wrote:
    JZed wrote:

that's a fancy word for haribo isn't it?
    Hat + Beard
  • jzed
    hatbeard wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    JZed wrote:

I've only once received Haribo :evil: - now for that I can blame Wiggle
  • notsoblue
    hatbeard wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    JZed wrote:

Hah!

Actually I have *never* received haribo from Wiggle. Two bottle openers, but no confectionery. Bastards.
  • jzed
    notsoblue wrote:
    hatbeard wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    JZed wrote:

Hah!

Actually I have *never* received haribo from Wiggle. Two bottle openers, but no confectionery. Bastards.

Bottle openers :shock: I feel like I'm being short-changed.
  • jzed
    hatbeard wrote:

one day people will realise he was referencing the speed_king thread where the worlds ills were (incorrectly) attributed to wiggle in mimicry of speed_king's exasperated accusations that they'd sold him a dodgy used bike based on the opinions of his 'mate' mechanic.

Speed_king threads always bring a smile to my day :lol: especially this one

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12718893&highlight=speedking
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    On the haribo front, how much haribo would an lbs have to offer to bribe you into it...

Assuming a reasonably competitive price (say +5% or free fitting or something)
  • wolfsbane2k
    dhope wrote:
    vorsprung wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

Whoosh

gee.. thanks :) Internet works by data being carried by miniture pigeons between ground stations where people write something called Binary onto a postit on their leg and send them on their way, Right?

As a CCNA & Network administrator for a small datacenter ( not that that has anything to do with the internet mind you) I might have an idea of how some of this works ;)

I believe I can close down 2 quite happily ( Yep, false confidence is a killer)
    3 is always a possibillity, that is easy to do between servers on the net, so is plausable.
    That leaves me with 1).

Trying to balance the root cause between 1 and 3 can only be done using emperical data, hence the question on this forum to see if anyone else had been got :)

Ta!
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • wolfsbane2k
    JZed wrote:

Something like that. More to hide it from myself so it's a nice suprise when a present appears" out of the blue", enforced by selective memory ( also known as the drunk saturday night order...)

Actually, it's so that I can pin down data breaches to a company, and then block that email address, change the one registered with a company to a new one without affecting my "normal" email address.
  • hatbeard
    JZed wrote:

Something like that. More to hide it from myself so it's a nice suprise when a present appears" out of the blue", enforced by selective memory ( also known as the drunk saturday night order...)

Actually, it's so that I can pin down data breaches to a company, and then block that email address, change the one registered with a company to a new one without affecting my "normal" email address.

thing is spammers are onto this and add brands/website names to domain names to generate email address lists. I get spam to mail users that have never existed on my domains perhaps this was just a co-incidence that you got one that happens to be a place you shop.

as you say though without more data it's all a shot in the dark. and that I can emphatically say is definitely wiggles fault :lol:
    Hat + Beard