Urgently Need New Tyres!!

Vivica
Vivica Posts: 68
edited February 2011 in The workshop
I've felt a little weird on my bike recently, and while fitting new back brakes tonight i decided to take a proper look at the tyres.
It didn't take long to notice the problem!!

179092_495187932882_505337882_6278329_4067369_n.jpg

I need to get this replaced ASAP as i use this bike for 10 miles worth of commuting daily, and obviously this could just blow out at any time!

I'm going to try make it to the bike shop tomorrow, but my work often means work is a luxury time cannot afford.

I have the standard Alex Ace 19's that came with the bike when i bought it a couple of years ago.
What tyres do you recommend?

And at the same time, i've just used my last set of brake pads - am thinking of buying a couple of sets of Clarks CP513's as per - http://www.clarkscycles.com/index.php/html/product/pagetype/aftermarket/id/cp513-mtbv-type-brake-pad
Anybody got any other pads that might be worth a look?

Thanks in advance gents!

Comments

• Moodyman
    Moodyman Posts: 158
    Bontrager Racelite Hardcase or Schwalbe Marathon or Schwalbe Marathon Plus.

All are tough durable tyres though the two Schwalbe's a little heavy. But if you're commuting, who cares. You'll not be repairing puctures.

Re the brake pads. get some mid-level ones
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Brake pads - Kool Stop Salmon.
  • Schwalbe Marathon Racer - lightweight with a reflective strip.
  • Vivica
    Vivica Posts: 68
    Moodyman wrote:
    Bontrager Racelite Hardcase or Schwalbe Marathon or Schwalbe Marathon Plus.

All are tough durable tyres though the two Schwalbe's a little heavy. But if you're commuting, who cares. You'll not be repairing puctures.

Re the brake pads. get some mid-level ones

You'd be surprised, i live in Guernsey, so there's lots of hedge trimmings etc in the roads. In the winter of 2009 i had 4 punctures in the space of 2 months!

Out of fear of a blow out i bought the best looking tyre my local shop had - a Specialized Nimbus 700.

Thanks for the suggestions everybody, Marathon Plus' seem to be a

On the look out for decent brake pads now - intend on buying several sets once i've made my mind up!
    Anybody else got a favoured set of pads?Very popular choice!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Another vote for Koolstops.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    anyone tried the gatorskin hardshells?
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    [quote="
    You'd be surprised, i live in Guernsey, so there's lots of hedge trimmings etc in the roads. In the winter of 2009 i had 4 punctures in the space of 2 months!
    ![/quote]

I had 5 in 5 days once, came out every day from work to a new flat !, and yes they were real flats not work mates .

I run conti gator skins but i still get the occasional flat ( maybe 1 every month or so ) so i will be looking at the hardshell or maybe durano + next time.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • A big -1 on the Bontrager Racelite Hardcases from me. If it was wet I could wheelspin them on the flat, If it was dry, they would squirm when I was applying power going up hills.