are my spd peddles to tight to my shoes?

sefton
sefton Posts: 98
edited January 2011 in MTB beginners
I'm making the leap to spd's.

I have bought some time atac peddles (due to dodgy knees) & I've bought some shimano AM50 shoes.

I've not yet fitted the pedals to my bike.

but when I attach the pedals to my shoes the fit is very tight. is this the norm?

I'm just concerned that the time atac float wont be able to function with a fit this tight?

IMG_2123.jpg
IMG_2124.jpg
IMG_2125.jpg
IMG_2126.jpg

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    How does it feel when you wear them? Can you move a bit/clip in and out easy enough? If yes, it's fine, otherwise break out the stanley knife.

They are designed to offer some support, rather than just resting on the bars.
  • Noel PT
    Noel PT Posts: 627
    Which way around are your cleats? Fit them one way and they give more float?movement, fit the other and they tighter.

As far as I can see it all looks good mate. The tighter the better for me. Besides it loosens up a bit after a few rides. As long as you can get your foot out then you fine.
  • sefton
    I was just worried the float would be compromised.

I have speedplay spd's on my road bike and theres a huge amount of float (it kind of feels like your feet are on ice)

like I said I've yet to fit them to the bike so with leg pressure they might move around more.

the cleats are positioned for the 17 degrees of float.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Just checked my own Time pedals (it's the first time I've ever had a shoe in them without my foot being in it). It's very stiff, the pedal inteferes with the shoe and there is no discerible float without some fairly hard pulling and pushing. But, with my feet in, I get that standing on ice-cubes feeling you describe, which scared the crap out of me when I first changed from Shimano SPDs :lol: I'm guessing everything should be fine with yours..
  • sefton
    brilliant :D

I'll now go back to bed and catch up on the sleepless night I had :lol:
  • Noel PT
    Noel PT Posts: 627
    Once fitted and tested I reckon you will feel better about it.

Good luck mate
  • sefton
    got these fitted and alls cool!

however I've been an idiot! I should have moved to spd's ages ago (instead of convincing myself I prefer flats)!!!