Tough sportive ride weekend of 9-10July 2011

kim10
kim10 Posts: 186
Hi,

Just in the middle of planning my sportive rides for 2011 and have to fill the weekend of the 9-10 July. It needs to be hilly and best if its in the south or west. Have found these two:

Tour of the Black Mountains
The Devil Ride

Looks like they are in the same (ish) area. Have any of you done these in the past? If so can you recomend them? Or have you got any other suggestions.

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Have done both in the past.

Devil Ride is not as good these days as it isn't run by Epic Cycles anymore just supported. Last year it started in Brecon went North then West and back. Nice route but I didn't like the start venue and the feeds were a bit below par.

Tour of the Black Mountains is now a better event or at least was the year before last, better start/finish venue and feeds. It stays more within the Brecon Becons area with some classic climbs, probably edges the Devil these days. :lol:

Hope this helps :)
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    If you fancy something a little different, theres an audax out of cardiff on the 9th july called "down with the british". 200k ,and just shy of 4000 meters of climbing and its one of the toughest rides i`ve ever done. there wont be many people there though, its just too differcult for any body with an ounce of sanity.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly