East Enders and the ilk

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
Inform, educate and entertain, yes, but…..

Why the hell are we paying for Eastenders (and similar programs) through the licence fee? Now it could be argued that the program fits in with the ‘entertain’ aspect (although I would personally rather spot-weld my danglies to the radiator) but surely something like this has no place on the BBC?

It’s a strong enough franchise to sell / license to the private sector where it can be supported by advertising revenues from no-win-no-fee solicitors, companies that want to buy your mobile phone, online bingo firms and the Lambrini corporation.

The money saved and generated could pay for Attenborough to look at whelks for an hour a week, or perhaps some educational kids programmes, or (I don’t know) have Colin Firth get down to his skimpies in something Edwardian. Which can all then also be sold to raise further revenue, and reduce the license fee (or up the quality, or boost radio or…)

Discuss……..
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Yup. Burn it. I'd love more choice about how the license fee is spent. I'd go back to just two BBC channels, and if the program's crap, simply don't make the bloody thing. Obviously I'd be in charge of deciding what's crap and what's not.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    BBC sells Eastenders (along with all the other stuff you mentioned) to reduce the licence fee anyway.

No idea on the relative amounts that are bought in since the likes of Attenborough are generally pre-invested for rights in a specific geography rather than bought after the fact.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Bored at work or just wanting to whinge?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Theres plenty of stuff on the BBC that doesn't interest me or I can't stand. But I'll gladly pay the license fee so long as theres Radio 4, The Breeze Block on Radio 1, pretty much any and all Natural History and Science programmes, and BBC News (R4 or TV).

Given that the corporation has to make something to please everyone (and has a great degree of success with this) its pretty churlish to only focus on the stuff you don't like because you're almost guaranteed to find lots of it.

;)
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    The BBC has to appeal to as broad a church as possibe, to justify the universal licence fee. So for every Eastenders that you [and I] can't bear, there's "some poncy twonk looking at bats in a cave" that's giving some small-brained CD1 equal cause for complaint. Live with it.
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    balls I just remembered my license is up for renewal soon :(

edit: whew last day of march, so 2 more pay days to go yet :D
    Hat + Beard
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    " Are you D D D?"
    " Are you D D D? "
    " Are you DDD in disguise?"
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    CiB wrote:
    ...small-brained CD1...

Eh? CD1 isn't exactly a Googleable phrase, either.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    If it's a choice between paying some money for the BBC (specifically BBC Scotland) or putting up with the crap on the free STV I'd much rather stump up the money.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    CiB wrote:
    The BBC has to appeal to as broad a church as possibe, to justify the universal licence fee. So for every Eastenders that you [and I] can't bear, there's "some poncy twonk looking at bats in a cave" that's giving some small-brained CD1 equal cause for complaint. Live with it.

This. Although I do wonder who some of the stuff on BBC3 is aimed at. Even people getting back from the pub after a heavy night must struggle to sit through 'Snog, Marry, Avoid' and the like.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    " Are you D D D?"
    " Are you D D D? "
    " Are you DDD in disguise?"

Haha!, nope, but bored at work does fit (listening to a reeeeeaaaaalllllly boring conf call at the moment!)

No, it was just a dinner table conversation from the other night, and sometimes it's fun to toss in a firecracker.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    edited January 2011
    I don't like Eastenders and its ilk one bit.

But, the BBC has to produce a variety of stuff that appeals to it's broad viewer base, so generally the stuff I like has always been outweighed by what I don't.

What bugs me is when a soap opera, like Eastenders, tries to pretend it's being all socially responsible with its storylines, 'dealing with important issues in a responsible manner', 'raising the profile of x' bla bla bla

It's only an entertainment programme for goodness' sake.

And quite how much bad stuff can be happening to the people of one street, all of the time, is beyond me.

Certainly I believe it's not healthy to 'get into' something like Eastenders because it's a very negative programme.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I would happily pay the licence fee for Radio 4 alone. Anything else is a bonus.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I like

Being Human
    Family Guy
    Top Gear
    Match'o'd'day

And the wild life programs.

Just saying.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    SimonAH wrote:
    It’s a strong enough franchise to sell / license to the private sector where it can be supported by advertising revenues from no-win-no-fee solicitors, companies that want to buy your mobile phone, online bingo firms and the Lambrini corporation.

They already do, it called BBC Worldwide...

http://www.bbcworldwide.com/[/code]
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Just browsing the radiotimes...

Pleasure and Pain with Michael Mosley
    10:35pm BBC1, BBC1 HD
    Michael Mosley subjects himself to the likes of leg waxing to explore the biology behind these sensations and why they are both integral to our survival.

Leg waxing is integral to survival? :shock:
  • nich wrote:
    Just browsing the radiotimes...

Pleasure and Pain with Michael Mosley
    10:35pm BBC1, BBC1 HD
    Michael Mosley subjects himself to the likes of leg waxing to explore the biology behind these sensations and why they are both integral to our survival.

Leg waxing is integral to survival? :shock:

I think it's worse than that, leg waxing and Michael Mosley are both integral to our survival.
  • davis wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    ...small-brained CD1...

Eh? CD1 isn't exactly a Googleable phrase, either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NRS_social_grade
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • I'm sure i read somewhere that they were trying to scrap the TV licence because of the viewings on the basic channels that you pay for. Personally i wouldn't lose any sleep over not having the BBC on anymore because the programmes would simply be aired on other channels and i don't watch that much TV anyway. :roll:
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    I'm sure i read somewhere that they were trying to scrap the TV licence because of the viewings on the basic channels that you pay for. Personally i wouldn't lose any sleep over not having the BBC on anymore because the programmes would simply be aired on other channels and i don't watch that much TV anyway. :roll:

You probably read that in the Daily Mail... :(
  • notsoblue wrote:
    Theres plenty of stuff on the BBC that doesn't interest me or I can't stand. But I'll gladly pay the license fee so long as theres Radio 4, The Breeze Block on Radio 1, pretty much any and all Natural History and Science programmes, and BBC News (R4 or TV).

Given that the corporation has to make something to please everyone (and has a great degree of success with this) its pretty churlish to only focus on the stuff you don't like because you're almost guaranteed to find lots of it.

;)

Agree but eastenders is a steaming pile of horse doings
  • I'm sure i read somewhere that they were trying to scrap the TV licence because of the viewings on the basic channels that you pay for. Personally i wouldn't lose any sleep over not having the BBC on anymore because the programmes would simply be aired on other channels and i don't watch that much TV anyway. :roll:

Bbc iplayer, radios 1-7, local stations in every area of the country, world service, a huge and extremely good web presence, spin offs such as my BBC History. Magazine subscription....... theres more to it than telly.