Dry/Wet lube

Mr Plum
Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
edited February 2011 in The workshop
I'm currently using 3in1 oil (don't shoot me...) but am about to order some new chain oil/lube. What are the main advantages and disadvantages of wet vs dry lube?
FCN 2 to 8

Comments

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    dry lube is less wet and sticky so picks up less dirt and filth, but is not as effective in wet/gritty/muddy conditions. If its nice and dry, this will mean you can have less cleaning and maintenance on your drivetrain.

wet lube is a bit more wet and sticky so works better in wet/gritty/muddy conditions, but...surprisingly enough, picks up more dirt and filth, so a bit more attention to the chain is required.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Mr Plum
    Thanks for that - so it's just about how long you can maintain a clean chain for...

How about ceramic lube, or teflon based grease? I've been told both can be used on a chain and both offer good results, but how about the cleaning aspect?
    FCN 2 to 8
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    Nothing particularly wrong with 3-in-1. It's a bit thin and picks up dirt easily as do all wet lubes. I use gearbox oil as it's only a fiver for a litre.

By far the most important thing is regular cleaning and re-lubing. I'd even go so far as to say that, for utility cycling, chain-specific lubricants are just a gimmick.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Teflon-based grease? Or indeed any grease? On a chain? No.

The ceramic lubes are fine (as good as most others) but need to be applied to a very clean chain for the ceramic particles to stick and do their job.

I wouldn't agree with lae about specific lubes being a gimmick, but it doesn't have to be complicated - wet lube for crappy conditions, dry lube in the summer.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Engine oil and a modest application of grease to seal it in. Will last for weeks even in these conditions.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • i found 3 in 1 clogged up the jockey wheels on the rear mech in a few days and needed a mini clean on a wednesday evening

currently using muc off wetlube , and i clean the chain with a squirt of gt85 on a rag once a week after washing all the mud from my sunday fun in the forest . no problems so far
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • Ran mine for several weeks with just GT85 on and it was fine while it was dry. Using a fine coating of Finish Line wet now though because the roads are filthy.

The debate will run forever but you don't need much on at all.
  • AndyI
    AndyI Posts: 156
    I use Finish Line Cross Country wet lube which gets good reviews. But, see this:
    http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/maintenanc ... /4831.html
    A racing mind in a touring body.
  • Mr Plum
    AndyI wrote:
    I use Finish Line Cross Country wet lube which gets good reviews. But, see this:
    http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/maintenanc ... /4831.html

Cheers for that link - an interesting read. Kind of makes you wonder why companies push wet lube so much.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    From now on, I'll use both. At the same time........
    Faster than a tent.......