Spin instructors course

dunkotm
dunkotm Posts: 215
edited January 2011 in The bottom bracket
I'm about to do one and just thought I'd check in to see if anyone has advice on the best one to pursue? I've got a degree in sports science, so the basic theory shouldn't knock me about too much:)
Cheers
Go hard or go home

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Which one have you chosen?
  • Did some Keiser courses a few years ago, tbh you wont learn too much you arent already aware of. Good fun tho, and setting classes to music is an art form in itself :wink:
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Coaching/instructing is more about reading people than the science tbh. You can learn the science pretty quickly from as many books as you can bear to read, but learning how to get the most out of people and motivate them is the tricky part.
  • jgsi
    Presumably OP wants to teach otherwise bit of a waste of dosh so offical accreditation is required.... and yes being an instructor is all about how you deal with people... success is when your classes dont 'bomb'.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    My point is more that it is kinda irrelevant from a skill point of view, however given your post I do concede that actually the course will presumably effect who will employ you.
  • dunkotm
    sorry guys- tried to reply before but it bounced back

I haven't chosen one yet- was just seeking some recommendations really.

It's a good point that I might not learn that much, but learning to be on the bike out the front instead of the one next to the hottest chick in the class probably needs some coaching?

I don't work for Sky sports by the way...

Dunko:)
    Go hard or go home
  • Most gym's or health clubs will recognise any of the qualifications. For Instance I was trained on Kaiser using rpm and regular spin techniques. But my first classes were for a different club using old schwinn bikes.

Like these guys have said it's more about being confident, clear and getting the right tunes. Nowadays i think anyone who has attended plenty of classes could prob run one themselves.

As for teachung once you have taken 3 classes you wont even think it mildly difficult anymore. Be warned tho, I did it for about 3 years before i got to the point i couldnt look at a spin bike before wanting to scream with boredom!
  • jgsi
    dunkotm wrote:
    sorry guys- tried to reply before but it bounced back

I haven't chosen one yet- was just seeking some recommendations really.

It's a good point that I might not learn that much, but learning to be on the bike out the front instead of the one next to the hottest chick in the class probably needs some coaching?

I don't work for Sky sports by the way...

Dunko:)

If you want any further info, pm me as the fitness industry has to be one of the most confusing job sectors known to mankind....
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    Have you had a look at CYQ (YMCA) courses? They are Nationally (and in some cases, Internationally) recognised and you can use parts of them as a basis for other CYQ qualifications (I know, I'm a course tutor/CYQ Coordinator at Canterbury College).
  • dunkotm
    All good advice guys. Kinda liked the idea if you've been to enough classes and have a plan ( and knowledge of exercise science), you can have a dig. I'll look into all the suggested courses though. Cheers again:)
    Go hard or go home