Alps -

robz400
robz400 Posts: 160
edited February 2011 in MTB general
Hi all,

First visit to mountain bike section so please be nice!!

I've just (yesterday) got back from a weeks snowboarding in Grindelwald, Switzerland - Very very highly recommended, possibly the most beautiful place I've ever been.

I'm now chomping at the bit to go back in the summer, hire a mountain bike and hurl myself and mrs down the runs on some wheels.

I'm an experieced road cyclist but have never been mountain biking.

Has anyone got any experiences of these holidays or potentially a good place to start.....

Also, do the ski lifts work in the summer?

Comments

• jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Im plannin a trip to Mayrhofen in austria this year so i'll be interested to hear of people experiences aswell.
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Lots of ski resorts run as bike / climbing / hiking etc places in the Summer Morzine and Les Gets are probably the most popular, but they're quite DH focused so might not suit you if you're new to the dark side of cycling.

Chomonix is meant to be really good for all road riding (altough I've never been), lifts run in summer, but not as many as in Winter, quite a narrow season June/July/August usually.

Lift access mountain biking is a right laugh though, you'll have a blast.
  • robz400
    robz400 Posts: 160

A mix of DH and trails is definitely what we're after, we do loads of road cycling and fancy something different. Am new to it but I've been skiing/snowboarding for years and cycle everyday so am not worried about tackling steep runs etc.... Ideal holiday would be a lift to the top, then cycle all the way down with some flatter bits for exploring.....

I'm really after any tips for where to go, stay etc....
  • Loads of places to stay in the summer as the resorts are way quieter than in winter. Most hotels, self catering places and chalets should be open and a lot have bike storage (but not all so best check before booking). I've self catered and hotel'd and camped and I think the self catered option gives the best value, freedom and comfort. I have a race van now and use that instead which allows multi resort trips and is still comfortable. We managed 7 new riding locations last year in 4 countries in one 3 day trip and one 4 day trip! Good Times :D

For a mix of trails & DH I would recommend Les Arcs which has miles of tracks and some great single track in the woods, although a guide might be useful for some parts to get the best out of it. As above, Les Gets/Morzine is DH oriented but there are loads of XC trails and it's easy to get over to Switzerland for more riding :wink:
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    We're of to Morzine this year, but I rode Verbier a few years ago and that was lovely. A good mix of xc trails and some more downhill stuff without getting too crazy :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Hinterglemm is fun, a combination of lift accessed runs plus valley routes. Kitzbuhel is also good although was recovering from a dislocated shoulder so only did easy stuff. Have booked to go to Ischgl this summer, seems to have a good reputation for XC.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • lg18
    lg18 Posts: 92
    Loads of Alpine resorts are now completely geared up to MTBing in Summer, and the big main lifts (gondolas and cable cars) to the main stations run and cater for bikes. Many of these main lifts and the Alpine chalets on the mountain are open during the summer for walkers and some you can stay overnight.

Honestly, the Alps is your oyster, loads of places appropriate.... e.g. Kitzbuhel in Austria also has guided trips, Verbier in Switzerland Valais has recommended MTB routes you can look up on the internet and get the maps once there, plus bike shops and bike hire, and is quite a nice place as it's all just made up of chalets, not ugly apartment blocks like a lot of the French places. Most places have lots of single track and lots of "fire roads" through the forests for less technical stuff. Obviously you have to be super-aware of walkers wherever you go. Good maps of paths and tracks available from Stamfords.

Lucy
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    I'm not questioning your ability to handle a bike but there may be a bigger leap between road biking and tackling some of the Alpine runs than you might think.

You'll definitely have a great time but my guess is that if you don't do any mtbing before you go you'll end up on the roads and very easy trails around there which (IMO) doesn't make it worth the lift passes and the trip all the way out there. You'd be better going for a road biking holiday and hiring bikes at a UK trail centre.

Not saying I'd not go in your position, just try to do a bit of UK mtb riding before you head out. Amazing how much more physical it is, also picking lines down a trail in the Alps can involve in and out of ruts, over rocks, bunnyhopping/jumping obstacles - not a typical day out on the roadie!

PS - I ride on and off-road so know how different the two are.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike