Headset bearing cage

kev_gray
kev_gray Posts: 44
edited January 2011 in The workshop
Hi Guys,

Well after a pretty snowy and icy time over winter I am finally back onto the tricross. Which means it is now time to clean up the MTB after weeks of going through snow etc. As I was cleaning it I noticed a lot of white dust like dirt around the headset on the bottom as well as a slight grinding noise as I turn the handlebars so I have stripped it down. Turns out that the lower cage of bearings have had a grand total of no grease in them for a while and have turned a very nice colour of brown! I have tried degreasing them but they still look a nice brown so repacked with grease and put it all back together again. The steering did move a bit smoother while turning it on the stand but I could still feel the grinding. My question is can I simply replace the bearings and cage or will I require a whole new headset? The headset itself only appears to have some slight paint missing on the inside where the bearings go. The bike is a GT Avalanche 1.0 (2008 if I remember) and the headset is a cane creek ZS from what I read last night. All original parts.

Comments

• Bearing race is easy and cheap to replace, or just pack with grease and re-clean/re-pack after a few hundred miles.
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc