WHR500 or Planet X Model C.

BR 1979
BR 1979 Posts: 296
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
Or something else for < £100 a pair?

I've got WHRs on my bike, and they've done 18mths and two winters, been very happy with them generally.

However, freehub is knackered on back wheel (doesn't freewheel) and front rim is very worn so replacement of the pair seems like a good idea rather than spending a load on parts and fiddling about.

I can get a pair of WHR500s for £80 and Model Cs (the 32 spoke pair) are £100.

I'm not spending any more than £100 for wheels on my £500 bike.

Which would you buy? I am looking for lack-of-fiddling-and-truing as my #1 priority, with speed as a secondary concern. Anything else.

In commuting chat as I'm looking for fellow London pothole bashers advice.

PS - Nothing above £100!

PPS - Seriously, not even £110. :D

Comments

• jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    BR 1979 wrote:
    Or something else for < £100 a pair?

I've got WHRs on my bike, and they've done 18mths and two winters, been very happy with them generally.

However, freehub is knackered on back wheel (doesn't freewheel) and front rim is very worn so replacement of the pair seems like a good idea rather than spending a load on parts and fiddling about.

I can get a pair of WHR500s for £80 and Model Cs (the 32 spoke pair) are £100.

I'm not spending any more than £100 for wheels on my £500 bike.

Which would you buy? I am looking for lack-of-fiddling-and-truing as my #1 priority, with speed as a secondary concern. Anything else.

In commuting chat as I'm looking for fellow London pothole bashers advice.

PS - Nothing above £100!

PPS - Seriously, not even £110. :D

I have Planet X model B's and they are still true after 4 months of riding. Hit a pot hole very hard last night by PS and expected to have done some damage but they are still perfect.

Planet X are selling Fulcrum Racing 7's for £80, which I'm told is a bargain but have no experience of

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPFUR7C/fulcrum-racing-7-clincher-wheels
  • BR 1979
    Or there's the AX57 set for £90 from PX, seem pretty similar to the Model C.
  • BR 1979
    Re Racing 7s, I'm afraid I'm running a 9spd cassette.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    The A57s look good value to me. If I hadn't just built a wheelstand I might be tempted myself, as my Model Bs seem to be giving up the ghost.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}