13»

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    StuAff wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    *cycles away swiftly*

+1. OK, rather less swiftly :)

Not cycling swiftly at all at the moment. You see? being skinny isn't all that. Just means you get cold more easily.

Anyway, wrt SecretSam's threat, sitting on me wouldn't be very comfortable - too boney.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I'm fat and I do think I'm fit. 360 miles this year so far on bike. If you don't think I could be fit with the weight I carry, I would like to challenge you to a handicap race, strap enough weight to you to match my 18st 2lbs and then pick a route.......
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • rjsterry wrote:
    StuAff wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    *cycles away swiftly*

+1. OK, rather less swiftly :)

Not cycling swiftly at all at the moment. You see? being skinny isn't all that. Just means you get cold more easily.

Anyway, wrt SecretSam's threat, sitting on me wouldn't be very comfortable - too boney.

Ahhhh but our chubby backsides mitigate the bony ways of the skinny person we're sitting on. :P

I'm not cycling that swiftly at the moment, and just ate a pret choc bar. Yeah. :D
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    edited January 2011
    I'm trying to mitigate my boniness with a bag of sour fizzy sweets. omnomnomnom
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • sketchley
    JonGinge wrote:
    [/quote]#

Tangfastics or Jelly Squirms?
    --
    Chris

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Sketchley wrote:
    I'm fat and I do think I'm fit. 360 miles this year so far on bike. If you don't think I could be fit with the weight I carry, I would like to challenge you to a handicap race, strap enough weight to you to match my 18st 2lbs and then pick a route.......

Only if you lose the extra muscle that comes from lugging around that extra 6 stone :twisted:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Sketchley wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

I aint no brand whore!* :lol: M&S Colin the caterpillars :D

* feel free to contest this
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    JonGinge wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

I aint no brand whore!* :lol: M&S Colin the caterpillars :D

* feel free to contest this

Posh git.
    Lidl sugar slugs here.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • motdoc
    motdoc Posts: 97
    I'm an M&S

errr hang on

:P

BTW I wouldn't do calorie restriction diet except to loose weight, evidence for increased longevity in primates not there. Fruit flies only,
    Arrrrr I be in Devon.
  • ste_
    ste_ Posts: 124
    ste_ wrote:
    ...my fancy scales reckon my body-fat is circa 22%.

Can someone explain this to me...

My scales also have an 'athlete mode'. The manual says you should use this if your resting heart-rate is <60BPM and you exercise for >12hours/week. From that definition I'm an athlete.

So, I give the mode a try and lo and behold they reckon I'm 9% bodyfat.

What's going on? My inkling is that the scales are wank. Is there a more scientific explanation? Which reading do I trust as lets face it they're pretty dissimilar...

Essentially would I be correct in thinking these scales that give such readings by passing electrical currents through your feet are at best a wild guess?
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    ste_ wrote:
    My inkling is that the scales are wank.

exactly the reason why i took my all singing all dancing scales back and got some goodl old traditional ones.

also when ever you move the scales my weight would vary, not just a few lb but stones!!

at least im not alone in this "Fit & Fat" saga.....
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • sketchley
    dhope wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

Only if you lose the extra muscle that comes from lugging around that extra 6 stone :twisted:

That's doesn't work I think. If we we're testing strength then yes I agree but in testing fittness we would be trsting the ability to provide fuel to the muscle, ignoring muscle efficancy for a moment you would each of us would need to provide same amount of energy to propel the same total weight over the same distance. If you bring muscle efficancy in to the equation I would guess that in fact having a smaller mussel would be more efficent than a larger one (note I did physics not biology so could be wrong).
    --
    Chris

• motdoc
    motdoc Posts: 97
    Sketchley
    I take the view that fitness does not refer to VO2 max or aerobic threshold. I would take a more holistic view and argue that you should probably race as you are, and so should dhope.
    We could do a series on different gradients, what fun. Would be interesting to see what gradient might is beaten by light.
    Arrrrr I be in Devon.
  • i was reading an article in a paper once and there was two men. one was fit and worked out every day and the other was slighty overweight and it turned out the slightly overweight man was in better physical shape than the fitter man. just shows you just becuase you carry extra weight it sometimes can be a good thing. i personally couldn't look like a whippet and i like having some extra padding and the ladies never complained :lol:
  • tx14
    tx14 Posts: 244
    I think you can be heavy and fit, but not fat and fit.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Lordy lordy, I love these threads. Fat people in denial :wink: .

Fatness is not merely about visual fattness and giving your scales grief.

Fatness also affects your vital organs. Fatties will have a lot more fat surrounding vital organs, thick cushions of fat, thick layers of F A T. Yuck! These layers of fat store toxins that your body should be excreting and ordinarily not exposed to. Hence the predisposition to cancers, respiratory problems, not to mention back pain carrying all that lard around. Phew!

And ..... and ......... they will be wanting to buy the lightest and most expensive bikes believing it will make them quicker. Lose a few kilos first would be my advice :roll: .

So NO, one cannot be fat while at the same time being fit and healthy.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    dilemna wrote:
    And ..... and ......... they will be wanting to buy the lightest and most expensive bikes believing it will make them quicker.
    Not all of them.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    simonc2806 wrote:
    i was reading an article in a paper once and there was two men. one was fit and worked out every day and the other was slighty overweight and it turned out the slightly overweight man was in better physical shape than the fitter man. just shows you just becuase you carry extra weight it sometimes can be a good thing. i personally couldn't look like a whippet and i like having some extra padding and the ladies never complained :lol:

Fit does not necessarily mean healthy.

I wouldn't describe the body of a pro cyclist as being healthy.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!