Is my bike the correct size

mark2460
mark2460 Posts: 3
edited January 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi everybody im new to the forum and just looking for some advive,ive rode mountian bikes for years but i wanted a road bike so i bought a Basso Devil alu frame and i think its to small,I have a few questions
no1 when i ride the bike if i have my pedals horizontal and i turn the handle bars the front wheel hits off the toe clip(not using spds) is this correct? the bike was meant to be the size for me but now im not so sure

no2 i also have to put the seat up quite far i read that it should be just a bit higher than the handle bars?

i dont have much knowledge of road bikes and it might just feel strange with being used to a mountian bike,any advice welcome

by the way im arround 6feet 2inches and weight about 13 stone the size on the bike is 58cm thanks for now

Comments

• So called 'toe-clip' overlap does occur with some frames, and it is no indicator of the bike being too small for the rider. Basso used to have a bit of a reputation for producing frames with steep angles, and this might lie behind your toe clip overlap.

It is not unusual for a seat post to be fully extended, and again, a fully extended seatpost is no indicator that the frame is too small. And you have your bars at whatever height they feel comfortable at. An aggressive racing-type position will have the seatpost much higher than the bars, but a more recreation-type riding position will feature less of a drop down to the bars.

If you are still concerned about bike fit have someone take a picture of you on it and post it here.
  • AndyI
    AndyI Posts: 156
    I'm 6' 2" and a 58cm frame would fit me, so I don't think you're far out. Try using this and then set your bike up accordingly:
    http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CC ... ATOR_INTRO
    A racing mind in a touring body.
  • Most likely too small 6' 2 guys are usuallyon 60 or 62 cm frames.

Change of stem length might correct the fit issue.
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    A 58cm frame is normally too small for your height.

Other than the toe overlap, are you comfortable on it?
  • steve36
    steve36 Posts: 93
    same here 6`2" 58cm, :)
  • Unless you are amorphically strange (short torso or arms) or using a 40mm stem these bikes are most likely too small in reach and stack
  • Should read 140mm stem
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    6ft 3 here, 58cm
  • lemoncurd
    Annotated from Evan's web site.

5' 9" - 6' 0" => 56 - 57 - 58cm
    6' 0" - 6' 3" => 58 - 59 - 60cm
    6' 3" - 6' 6" => 61 - 62 - 63cm

I'm 6' 3" and have 61 & 63cm frames, if anything the 61cm feels a bit small.

We're all different shapes though.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Lemoncurd - quoting bike size and height isn't that relevant - top tube is far more important.

57.5 top tube should be fine for the average 6'2 rider - I'm a fraction under 6'2 and ride exactly that length top tube with a 12cm stem.

The saddle should be higher than the bars on a bike designed for racing - which this is. It may be you have proportionally long legs - but getting a bigger bike would then mean you were too stretched out as the size up has a 59cm top tube. I would say this bike sounds the right size for you if you dead set on a Basso Devil - but it's always possible the geometry of a Basso Devil just isn't ideal for your proportions.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • lemoncurd
    Tom

This chart isn't that relevant:

5' 9" - 6' 0" => blue frame
    6' 0" - 6' 3" => red frame
    6' 3" - 6' 6" => white frame

A chart that lists rider height versus suggested frame size is relevant given as that's the way that manufacturers size their bikes.

To the OP, if you're comfortable then that's all that matters.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,856
    AndyI wrote:
    I'm 6' 2" and a 58cm frame would fit me, so I don't think you're far out. Try using this and then set your bike up accordingly:
    http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CC ... ATOR_INTRO

+1 do this - it's a very good starting point
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Manufacturers normally size their bikes by seat tube length because of tradition - but there is relatively little meaningful comparison to be made between manufacturers and even models by the same manufacturer using that as a measurement as regards whether a bike will fit.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    ive used that competitive cyclist calculator and as i suspected i have a fairly short torso for my height. bodys follow pretty common trends, ive read long legged people tend to have thigh bones longer than their lower leg bones. most commonly its about 50/50 on more evenly proportioned people. these to points compound each other for me because the long thigh bones need the seat further back (kops) which moves me further from the bars with a short torso and if that isnt enough i have a large bar drop due to the long legs.
  • You will be able have this modified by your dealer to suit you.

Myself (who is amorphically weird) runs a 58 frame 20 mm layback post and a 120 stem. I am 6'2" but have the the legs of someone over 6'4" in . oddly 6"8 in thigh

I can run on most modern frames(post 2008) any bar drop from 75mm to a very racy 110

PS saddle height is 827mm
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    thats quite strange. my saddle is about there and im 6'0". if you have long thighs 'dtr' thats not strange its normal for long legs.
  • I'm 6'1" or 185.4cm, and my in-seam is 90.5cm (measured with my feet 10" apart) and the distance between my pedals and saddle is 97cm. I'm riding a 58cm Allez and although the leg length seems ok I do feel a little stretched out when on the hoods, this could be down to the fact I've only just started riding a road bike, having come from a MTB, and I will have to give it a little while to ajust to the riding style.

To the OP if you're feeling a little cramped up top you could always try a slightly longer stem, or one with a higher rise if they are feeling to low, you could even try moving the seat backwards and forwards to see if that helps.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    rake wrote:
    ive used that competitive cyclist calculator and as i suspected i have a fairly short torso for my height. bodys follow pretty common trends, ive read long legged people tend to have thigh bones longer than their lower leg bones. most commonly its about 50/50 on more evenly proportioned people. these to points compound each other for me because the long thigh bones need the seat further back (kops) which moves me further from the bars with a short torso and if that isnt enough i have a large bar drop due to the long legs.

Ideally you go for the same solution I did for the same reasons - short sportive frame that gives you the taller headtube without the long top tube. Result = racy position on a sportive bike. Not many bikes are a good fit for me.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • thanks for all of your replyssome good advice,i spoke to the dealer he wants me to take it into the shop with my kit and he will do what he can,It is a nice bike to ride but so different to a full suspension bike maybe thats half the problem thanks again and i will let you know what happens
  • ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    mark2460 wrote:
    thanks for all of your replyssome good advice,i spoke to the dealer he wants me to take it into the shop with my kit and he will do what he can,It is a nice bike to ride but so different to a full suspension bike maybe thats half the problem thanks again and i will let you know what happens

Going into the shop is the best answer. I don't know how anyone on here can answer without a picture and some more details. Knowing you're 6"2 only gives a very vague idea of what size you need. Inside leg is a major factor, as is the geometry of the frame you're using. I'm 6ft 4 and ride a 60 & a 63 from different manufacturers and the top tube length is identical on both! For all we know you may have the saddle too high anyhow? You could also try a set of clipless pedals, which may reduce toe overlap?

If the dealer's any good he'll sort you out so best of luck :D