The free first service

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
I've just treated myself to a new bike* for my 21st birthday (version 2), which dawns next week

Anyway, due to weather, weekend commitments, laziness etc I'm unlikely to ride it much prior to the free first check up (4-6 weeks post-purchase) - plus this requires me to take the thing to Milton Keynes (20 miles or so)

Thoughts?

*CAAD 8 Sora from the nice people at Cannondale

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    I wouldn't lose much sleep over it. All they do is check that bolts haven't loosened, the gear indexing is true, and adjust the cables for stretch.

Nothing you can't do yourself.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    kelsen wrote:
    I wouldn't lose much sleep over it. All they do is check that bolts haven't loosened, the gear indexing is true, and adjust the cables for stretch.

Nothing you can't do yourself.

+1

In my experience it's not really a service, just a 10 minute 'tightening' after you've ridden it in a bit.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    The only thing I noticed when Decathlon serviced my bike was that the brakes were sharper.

The first service is more of a safety check than anything.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Phone the shop [is it Evans?], point out that it won't have done much mileage in its first 6 weeks and ask for the service to be done later, when it's done a few miles.

It is worth doing - if something goes wrong later they won't be able to use the excuse that you didn't have it serviced / haven't looked after it properly.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    if its evans the time frame is just what is expected with normal use, if you dont appear to have ridden it much and they cables havent stretched then when they have in maybe 8-12 weeks most stores will happily still do it. obviously ring up to book it in and check its ok at time of booking.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    SecretSam wrote:
    I've just treated myself to a new bike* for my 21st birthday (version 2), which dawns next week

Anyway, due to weather, weekend commitments, laziness etc I'm unlikely to ride it much prior to the free first check up (4-6 weeks post-purchase) - plus this requires me to take the thing to Milton Keynes (20 miles or so)

Thoughts?

I took mine in after 5 months for its 6 week service with no questions asked after I got tendinitis and stuck to the SS rather than geared. This was at Halfords, YMMV.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    dhope wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

Thoughts?

I took mine in after 5 months for its 6 week service with no questions asked after I got tendinitis and stuck to the SS rather than geared. This was at Halfords, YMMV.

YMMV????

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    SecretSam wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

Thoughts?

YMMV????
    JFGI
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    _Brun_ wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

Thoughts?

YMMV????
    JFGI

JFGI?
    LMGTFY
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

Thoughts?

YMMV????
    JFGI

JFGI?
    LMGTFY

Will you guys please stop shouting acronyms at each other! :lol:
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    Sorry, it depends where you go, my shop that built mine removed wheels, checked all parts, re greased, checked suspension, I was in the shop an hour.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • PinkPedal
    PinkPedal Posts: 180
    Might be an idea to double check whether skipping the included service will affect any warranty. I was in the same situ when I got my bike - let the bike shop know and brought it in when I'd done a couple of hundred km instead.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    dhope wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

Thoughts?

YMMV????
    JFGI

JFGI?
    LMGTFY

PMSL
    Faster than a tent.......
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Sorry, it depends where you go, my shop that built mine removed wheels, checked all parts, re greased, checked suspension, I was in the shop an hour.

What did you buy?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    itboffin wrote:

What did you buy?

a bike... duh :roll:
    Hat + Beard
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Rolf F wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

Thoughts?

YMMV????
    JFGI

JFGI?
    LMGTFY

PMSL

ROTFPMSL
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    hatbeard wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

What did you buy?

a bike... duh :roll:

I know what he means, mi was designed (parts chosen) by me and built by the shop, Sanderson frame, BlackJack wheels etc.

http://sirpatrickmooresales.co.uk/Ourpage.aspx
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html