L3, L4 ... zones ... ? Explanation please?

KnightOfTheLongTights
KnightOfTheLongTights Posts: 1,415
edited August 2018 in Road beginners
Right newby-can't-be-arsed-googling Q here but anyway ....

I've heard talk of L3 and L4 and zones 1 and 2 - are these referring to the same thing, and if so, what is it?

Are they lengths of ride? or intensity of effort / power output?

Comments

• nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Are they not regions on the London Underground?

I used to buy a weekly pass for zones 1 & 2 when I lived down there years ago! :wink:
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Heart rate or power zones
  • refers to power levels. there are no power 'zones'.

the levels blend together in a continnuum. the borders are hard to pin down and they are slightly different for everyone.

here is what happens at [ and around ] each level.

pageimage_1060_34129_4_1.jpg
  • Try this to start with........

http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... sics-28838

Dex.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    refers to power levels. there are no power 'zones'.

the levels blend together in a continnuum. the borders are hard to pin down and they are slightly different for everyone.

here is what happens at [ and around ] each level.

pageimage_1060_34129_4_1.jpg

The terms zones and levels are often interchanged. I am always told to do my rides in zone 3 or 4, etc - and these ARE power zones.

Possibly not correct - but still used.
  • yeah. the nerds on the wattage list get uptight when you use the z word. the zones exist but you must find your own zones because genetic difference in cyclists allow some people to do crazy stuff. like ride for 20 minutes at 108% ftp or 150% ftp for 5 mins. the z word gives a impression that its very strict but the body's systems cross over and change over time when you train them. if you need to target wattages for training then you could call it a zone but it will be different to someone elses 'zone' even if they need to do the identical training to you imo.
  • danowat
    Zones are individual, be it heart rate, or power, bloody pedants!!!
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    dexradio wrote:

That article was a revelation to me. Thanks.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• L3 and L4 are Postal areas of Liverpool
    If you fall off try again !

Trek EX8
    Handsome Dog XC01 with added ebay specials
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    me people to do crazy stuff. like ride for 20 minutes at 108% ftp or 150% ftp for 5 mins. the z word gives a impression that its very strict but the body's systems cross over and change over time when you train them. if you need to target wattages for training then you could call it a zone but it will be different to someone elses 'zone' even if they need to do the identical training to you imo.

That's not crazy stuff. FTP (functional power threshold) is power you can put out for 1 hour. For 20 minutes you should be able to ride at 108% and 150% for 5 minutes (that will hurt though) . Most training regimes use zone or levels to band the power levels (eg Coogan), and of course they are individual based upon FTP.
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • right well, er, thanks. That's clear. Sort-of ...
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    right well, er, thanks. That's clear. Sort-of ...

Read about zones here: http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2010/07/sh ... agree.html
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    If 100% is maximum, how can you exceed maximum? Riding for 20 mins at your best effort is always going to be 100% just as riding at your maximum for 5 minutes is. I wish the people who come up with these theories would talk sense. No ownder I prefer to work in HR zones.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • danowat
    philthy3 wrote:
    If 100% is maximum, how can you exceed maximum? Riding for 20 mins at your best effort is always going to be 100% just as riding at your maximum for 5 minutes is. I wish the people who come up with these theories would talk sense. No ownder I prefer to work in HR zones.

100% FTP (which isn't your maximum, hence you can exceed 100% of your FTP)
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    cjw wrote:
    That's not crazy stuff. FTP (functional power threshold) is power you can put out for 1 hour. For 20 minutes you should be able to ride at 108% and 150% for 5 minutes (that will hurt though) . Most training regimes use zone or levels to band the power levels (eg Coogan), and of course they are individual based upon FTP.

I can't do either. There's no reason why I should be able to though since we're all different.

My 5 minute power is only around 130% FTP.
    More problems but still living....
  • Forget about zones. Just do intervals of different duration (2 x 20, 4 x 4, 10 x 30s) at max power you can sustain without fading toward the end. Plus a long ride matching the duration of your event.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Forget about zones. Just do intervals of different duration (2 x 20, 4 x 4, 10 x 30s) at max power you can sustain without fading toward the end. Plus a long ride matching the duration of your event.

Did you know you just dug up a thread which is nearly 8 years old..?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    mf says that you should ignore everyone on this thread except Pokerface - he'll be the only one that actually knows what he is talking about

#knowledgeispower
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I think we have an old friend who has re emerged from the twilight.
    Has been catching up on all the old threads he has missed out on since his last ban.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    JGSI wrote:
    I think we have an old friend who has re emerged from the twilight.
    Has been catching up on all the old threads he has missed out on since his last ban.

Who?

#intrigued
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Probably not Trev, but son of Trev