Recommend me some semi-slick tyres

whyamihere
whyamihere Posts: 7,700
edited January 2011 in Commuting general
I'm currently using my summer XC tyres for my 'commuter' mountain bike which, although the knobbly bits are only small, are still quite slow. I don't want full slicks as I do a fair bit of riding on gravel towpaths etc. Also, we'll have no calls of 'get a road bike' because:
a. I already have one, but I have no desire to leave it outside at uni unnecessarily
b. My commute's about a mile, so I just sprint it.

So, fastish semi-slicks, ~1.75"-2", ability to take a fairly high pressure would be nice, and the less money spent the better.

Comments

• Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    The 1.5 City Jets are great for the money - can usually find them for a tenner each online. I find they work best slightly over-inflated to about 70-80psi (rated to 60psi max). Fast for cheap MTB tyres but a massive pain in the arse to get on your rims.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Moodyman
    Moodyman Posts: 158
    You could consider the Schwalbe Marathons - bit dearer and more durable, but for the distance and type of riding that you're doing, City Jets will probably serve you well.
  • Schwalbe Marathon or Marathon Plus. I use Schwalbe Big Apple 2.0" which I think are the same as the Marathon.
  • Peter88
    Peter88 Posts: 50
    I use the Schwable Hurricane's with P******e protection
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=51647
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    The Hurricane looks like the best bet.

What kind of paths are you talking about - loose gravel or hardpack?
  • I've got some Specialized Brough Pro Armadillo Elite CX and they seem good... semi slick and durable
  • whyamihere
    I ended up ordering some 1.95” City Jets (more cushioning than 1.5s). I decided I'd rather have better performance on tarmac and change to some of my other tyres if i need to ride looser stuff than be more compromised everywhere.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Its a mile...walk. :wink:
  • whyamihere
    fossyant wrote:
    Its a mile...walk. :wink:
    I often do, when going in with friends. But when I'm going in alone, I'd rather ride. ;)
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    I use Specialized Crossroads Armadillo Tyres during the winter.

There's enough of a flat area to make them quick and grippy on road and there's enough tread to make them suitable for light off-road use (dry trails though, they're useless in mud).

Armadillo protection means that they're pretty much bomb proof as well.

Bob