just dreaming but.......new commuting bike needed

jas1978
jas1978 Posts: 29
edited February 2011 in Commuting general
Well my trusty old stead is on life support and I think I have to pull the plug, being a true road bike it's taking rather a beating, my commute is a 15 mile each way trip all through the year from Gosport to Southampton 4 days a week. I'm now having to ride my recreation bike 9giant talon 1) which I have put on some semi road tyres and my spd's but after riding in today on it, it felt not right and slow.

I like drop bars, and see there are a few options with disc brakes and a alfine geared hub which I like the idea of.
I like the genesis croix der fer or the day one along with the Kona honky tonk inc.

any good experiences of these, or others worth looking at?

Comments

• tomb353
    tomb353 Posts: 196
    kinesis tripster (no hub gear but alu frame / carbon fork setup with disks).
    vendor of bicycle baskets & other stuff www.tynebicycle.co.uk
    www.tynebicycle.co.uk/blog
    Kinesis Tripster
    Gazelle NY Cab
    Surly Steamroller
    Cannondale F100
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    On-One Pompetamine?
  • kr1s
    kr1s Posts: 125
    I run a spesh tricross , great commuter as fast on and off road, you can rack it if required, and is a great winter bike/summer tourer - mine is great !
    Trek Madone 5.2 08
    Specialized Tricross
    Scott Scale
    Twitter @ChrisBedford1
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Not ridden any of the above, but I really like the look of the Croix de Fer. I've got a crosser with cantis for he commute at the moment, and, in an ideal world, I'd like one with discs.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Loving my brand new Kona Jake (and I came from a 25 year old steel frame, so I sympathise with putting a much loved old bike to the back of the shed).

No disc brakes on the Jake, though, which had been on my original wish list. I had also considered the Trek Portland.
  • after all the same things your going through (apart from a bike dying) i've look probablies at all the listed bikes above closely, even a comparison online and my choice is the Croix De Fer by a mile now, just waiting till FEB's pay day and off i go laughing to the bike shop!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    whyamihere wrote:
    On-One Pompetamine?

This, or wait until the versa 11 comes out so you can have drops as well.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Dreaming eh...

Hows abouts a Moots Comooter, only around $8000 :lol:
    moot10.jpg

Otherwise, a cross bike makes the most sense, as you can put slicks on for summer, and chunky nobblies or even spiked tyres for winter and messing around on.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • no offence but that Moots is hideous :lol:
  • thel33ter
    edited January 2011
    I know :lol: , although I do quite like the titanium rear rack 8)

Nice to see they left the valve caps off to save weight as well.
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • thel33ter wrote:
    I know, although I do quite like the Titanium rack thingy 8)

I would agree with you there, it does look nice fair point. Well as they say there's always something good that comes from the bad :D
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Cheap drop bar bike with disc brakes? Job done:

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 155c018343

I have the older model, it's been a fantastic bike :-)

Don't be put off by the fact it's Sora. I find Sora much easier to use when wearing thick winter gloves, shifts well and perfectly reliable. Never had to touch mine in 8000 miles.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I'd get a pompetamine as well

how did moots get to 8 grand for a singlespeed ti framed bike ??? not even a looker...
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • thel33ter
    edhornby wrote:
    I'd get a pompetamine as well

how did moots get to 8 grand for a singlespeed ti framed bike ??? not even a looker...

There's your answer.. Moots made it :lol:

Some of their stuff is pretty damn cool though - and would be an excellent all weather commuter.

Moots_snow_bike.jpg
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • a cassette on the front hub... erm O_o, its nice, a copy of the Mukluk and that "Shirley" one, what the hell have they done with the camo look, yak! :roll:
  • thel33ter
    It appeals to my childlike mind :lol:
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Phate
    Phate Posts: 121
    Recently got a Cube X-Race Comp and it is perfect for commuting, light, fast and nippy when you need it but can still handle everything the terrible roads up here can throw at it!

XRace_comp.jpg
    exercise.png
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Phate wrote:
    perfect for commuting
    Apart from the lack of rear guard pannier mounts, oops that is an imperfection, guess its not so perfect then!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • yeah you need the guards on, i must admit its a nice bike but as the beginner pointed out its a pretty big flaw
  • The Cotic RoadRat may be worth a look at ........ I have been running one for 3 years and very happy.
  • Cotic X with the disc option. Steel frame, carbon fork, sweet!
  • I have to reduce my budget a little, mentally have decided on the Kona Jake (2010 £484) as it seems to tick all my boxes!

just need to sell my near mint talon and wait for some b'day money!

will let you know how it goes!
  • jas1978 wrote:
    I have to reduce my budget a little, mentally have decided on the Kona Jake (2010 £484) as it seems to tick all my boxes!

where have you found it for at that price???
    2010 Giant Rapid 2
    2010 Kona Jake
    2011 Cube AMS Comp
  • http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/kona_jake.html not all sizes, just googled about!
  • wow thanks a lot! they have my size too - thanks again!!
    2010 Giant Rapid 2
    2010 Kona Jake
    2011 Cube AMS Comp
  • Rykard
    Rykard Posts: 582
    Babber Goo wrote:
    wow thanks a lot! they have my size too - thanks again!!

Sometimes it's no fun being short :(
    Cheers
    Rich

A Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching.