Worst Potholes in Britain

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    London must come a close second. It won't be long before you can see the Thames through some of the holes on Putney Bridge...
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    It's the worst in the country for everything else that would be considered "bad" why not for potholes :wink:
  • suzyb wrote:
    It's the worst in the country for everything else that would be considered "bad" why not for potholes :wink:

That's unfair. Glasgow's also considered the worst in the UK for everything good as well.
  • There was a guy writing to the Metro for a while who claimed to be stuck at the bottom of a pothole (along with some other people) on one of the bridges, wasn't there?

I haven't had the bike through to Glasgow for a while, so don't know what it's like at the moment.
    Unwashed (but well-lubricated) fixed thing, jeans, DMs - FCN 7(?)
  • Nope Oldham came out with the worst roads in Britain recently. No surprise at all to those of us with our tender parts ground to pate by main routes which in places reaemble farm tracks (Hollins Road) for months at a time.

Fkwits dug up a main 2 weeks before christmas, abandoned it with only the top layer to put on across 1/2 the road width, a couple of hour's work and it has been like that for 5 weeks now getting wider and more ragged and lethal to cycle near as its on a blind bend and all of us have to detour to 1 side of the road to pass it. Barriers etc still there at te side and its been regularly reported but seems to have been forgotten.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    FWIW some of the councils are making some decent efforts to rectify the pothole issue. Croydon has actually started resurfacing entire stretches now rather then just filling in the holes with play-doh like they did last year. One particular road that I'd normally avoid as it was akin to riding on the moon is now billiard table smooth :-) Maybe someone convinced the local penny pinchers that doing it properly the first time will (hopefully, assuming it doesn't break up again!) save money on the long run.
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    Don't know what your complaining about.....

car+in+pothole.jpg
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Can you (or do you) complain when the road surface is just crap to cycle along.

There is a section of the A71 that is really rough and gives a good bone shaking when cycling along it but driving along it is fine. I'd report but I'm not really sure that "really rough" is bad enough to be reported.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    suzyb wrote:
    Can you (or do you) complain when the road surface is just crap to cycle along.

There is a section of the A71 that is really rough and gives a good bone shaking when cycling along it but driving along it is fine. I'd report but I'm not really sure that "really rough" is bad enough to be reported.

Can try here:

http://www.fillthathole.org.uk/

I promise it's SFW :-) As long as you get the .org.uk bit - if you type .com by accident I take no responsibilty for the wrath of your IT dept ;-)

Also as has become the trend nowadays they even have an iPhone app! Now if they release an android version I'd be a very happy bunny.....

I think I did report 1 or 2 on there myself but haven't done any recently, the reported fix rate is around 30% so looks like it's worth trying.
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • i like this part.

On fixmystreet.com he posted: “I hit this pothole, instantly blew up my tyre, causing me to swerve to a halt.

“My alloy wheel is totally bent out of shape. This is the second time this has happened to me on this road. The first incident broke my rear suspension, which cost me over £80.”

Did he not learn the first time and use a bit of caution after that?
  • Bassjunkieuk
    To hit a pothole and instantly blow a tyre and break suspension I'm fairly sure you'd have to be travelling rather quickly. I assume this isn't in a 30 zone ;-)

Mind you if he only paid £80 for a rear suspension repair I assume he's on a bike....
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Gaping Gill is much worse. 300 feet. You'd certainly bend your front wheel if you rode into this one.

Derek_Robertson_Gaping_Gill_Main_Chamber_190807.jpg
    Faster than a tent.......
  • tends to be where there are enough folks to report the holes, if I go back to my folks place the roads are a lot worse, as you'd expect with the much harsher weather.

but since the population is low on the fillthathole etc web site it's almost empty.
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    During the last lot of snow, my dad was driving to work and drove over a pot-hole that was covered by the white stuff. There was a big bang, so he got out to check.

He was in a Land Rover Discovery, a more than capable offroad vehicle, and the wheel was shoved back into the wheel arch!

Went to the garage thinking that is was probably a track rod end, it turned out the wishbone had snapped!

That was in Oldham!