Planet X model B rear wheel bearings

2»

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    it would appear that my freehub body has fallen apart... need a new one :( dunno which one to buy from PX though
  • ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    Just had the same problem with my Prolite Bracchiano's! These are supposedly very similar to PX model B's. My LBS said they're going to put some Hope bearings in as replacements as the originals are of such poor quality. Was the rear this time but the front went after a few hundred miles. On that occasion Ribble replaced under warranty without any issues. This time I'm a month out of warranty but not too worried as would be futile to replace with the same, poor quality bearing!
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    spasypaddy wrote:
    it would appear that my freehub body has fallen apart... need a new one :( dunno which one to buy from PX though
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/HSF ... eehub_body

(says for carbon wheels at the top but if you look at the bottom there are Model B campag and shimano options)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    tomkidd wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Hmm, that sounds complicated, Not sure it's not easier to just get a new freehub (if I can find one for GBP20 or Planet-X sort out the website (?GBP40, that's the same price as the whole hub!!)

Having had a play around I think it might be the bloody BB, which means I ve ruined some bearings for nothing :twisted:

Did you ever find out what the noise was? I'm having similar issues which I thought might be my BB

Twas indeed the BB....sod! Same bearings went back in and are flawless now, even though one is missing the outer seal as I trashed it!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • spasypaddy
    Godders1 wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

(says for carbon wheels at the top but if you look at the bottom there are Model B campag and shimano options)
    it also costs £40 on a wheelset that costs £120. they can sit and swivel. would rather not have spare wheel than give that shower of shite of a company any more of my money.

and if you know exactly which one it is you can get one of these
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/HUP ... anet_x_hub

the guy on the phone just told me over the years they've used 5 different brand of hubs.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Godders1 wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

it also costs £40 on a wheelset that costs £120. they can sit and swivel. would rather not have spare wheel than give that shower of shite of a company any more of my money.

the guy on the phone just told me over the years they've used 5 different brand of hubs.

I can't quite tell who you're having a go at here. Pro-Lite or Planet X?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    DesWeller wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Godders1 wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

I can't quite tell who you're having a go at here. Pro-Lite or Planet X?

Wiggle? :lol:
  • spasypaddy
    definitely blaming PX. not got a good word to say about them.
  • spasypaddy wrote:

That's a bit harsh. The issue is not the replacement parts are so expensive (which they're not relatively), it's simply that the total package is so cheap. In the case of hubs, I think that longevity and good sealing (i.e. good hub design) are worth paying for, because you end up saving more overall if you do a decent mileage.

So, I think a good rear hub for £120 (Hope, Record) represents good value (for the higher mileage rider) and, given that's more than the whole planet x wheelset, this should tell you something! Planet X have an extremely cheap package based on upfront cost - I'd never expect it to last a lifetime, it's simply not possible at that pricepoint.
  • spasypaddy
    huuregeil wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

That's a bit harsh. The issue is not the replacement parts are so expensive (which they're not relatively), it's simply that the total package is so cheap. In the case of hubs, I think that longevity and good sealing (i.e. good hub design) are worth paying for, because you end up saving more overall if you do a decent mileage.

So, I think a good rear hub for £120 (Hope, Record) represents good value (for the higher mileage rider) and, given that's more than the whole planet x wheelset, this should tell you something! Planet X have an extremely cheap package based on upfront cost - I'd never expect it to last a lifetime, it's simply not possible at that pricepoint.
    i agree but because they've used 5 or 6 different types of hub in the past 2 or 3 years and unless you know what hub it is (no chance of working that out) you 'have' to buy the universal freehub. Now if you go on their website and know exactly what hub you've got you can get the specific one for between £10 and £20.

i emailed them on saturday, no response as of yet. I rang up yesterday and was guided to the universal freehub and was told they couldnt tell me which hub i had or how to check thus not allowing me to spend £20 but only £40.

Ive had alot of their products and in 3 years the only ones still going strong are the CNCd brakes, my frame cracked when i was just riding along and i was told to f off essentially by PX. now my wheels which are my spare wheels and done very little mileage considering they are 3 years old (I have a pair of racing 3s for well over 18months on the only bike that would take the PX wheels and a fixed wheel that i commute on).

So all in all i stand by what ive said.