Kingston -> Chippenham route

cjcp
cjcp Posts: 13,345
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
Thinking of riding this in a couple of weeks' time, and then pick up the train there.

Anyone got any ideas for the best route? Is is on the A4 through Newbury -> Hungerford -> Marlborough?

Cheers.
FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
"It stays down, Daddy."
"Exactly."

Comments

• Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    I cycled Richmond to the West Country and followed the A4 pretty much all the way. Wasn't the best, but not dreadful and routefinding is easy! Remember there not being too many alternative routes unless you want to really up the mileage.
  • cjcp
    Cheers. Parts of the A4 are ok from experience, but also remember some fast sections. Depends how much time I have and how early I can set off.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Hope that you get a tailwind :)
  • cjcp
    Gussio wrote:
    Hope that you get a tailwind :)

:lol:

Christ - hadn't thought of that! :o
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    I keep planning London-Bristol- London, get googling, I did find a gpx file on the minor roads but I can't remember which site.
  • cjcp
    A rough route might be this one:

http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp#
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I'd have said National Route 4 covers a big chunk of this http://www.sustrans.org.uk/map?searchKey=reading&searchType=search#455087,168435,1.

A few of us rode Reading to Bristol along the Kennet and Avon canal last year. Probably not the choice for the speedsters with their 23mm tyres, but we enjoyed ourselves. It took us 2 days, but that says more about our desire to make frequent pub stops than how arduous the route was :P
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,391
    When I asked for route suggestions for my still yet to be realised ride from London to Bristol, I think the general consensus was once clear of Reading, the A4 was by some way the most direct route. I've driven it many times, (although always on a weekend) and although the traffic can be a bit fast, it's pretty quiet, and the scenery isn't bad.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • cjcp
    Thanks, chaps
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Medders
    Medders Posts: 152
    I did this last year.

http://www.action.org.uk/action_100_bri ... ndon/route

A good route. A4 all the way except for Theale - Sunbury (missing out Reading/Maidenhead/Slough thankfully) and the alternative was good - mostly quiet roads.

Riding:
    Canyon Nerve AL9.9 2014
    Honda CBR600f 2013
    Condor Fratello 2010
    Cervelo RS 2009
    Specialized Rockhopper Pro 2008
  • cjcp
    Thanks, Medders. Route won't load for me atm, but I'll look at the Theale-Sunbury bit tonight.

I think I may pass ITBoffin's house. Might employ him as a domestique if there's a headwind.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,391
    The other good thing about the A4 is that there are plenty of places to stop for food/repairs. Personallly, I also like the idea of cycling past Silbury Hill and West Kennet Long Barrow, but you may not have an interest in prehistoric landmarks
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    I've cycled London - Bath many times and always using the A4 (joining past Uxbridge). As said above, the bit to Reading can be busy at peak times but the rest is fine. The Malborough-Calne bit is very pretty.

a serious case of small cogs
  • cjcp
    toontra wrote:
    I've cycled London - Bath many times and always using the A4 (joining past Uxbridge). As said above, the bit to Reading can be busy at peak times but the rest is fine. The Malborough-Calne bit is very pretty.

Cheers. How long did that take you? I'm heading down for the Wales/England rugby match, so was going to leave early.

@RJS - yep. One of the good things with going via Reading is that if I run short on time, I can hop on the train from there.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I have done the A4 route many times from Bristol to Newbury (where inlaws live) - It is a reasonable route, the road can be a bit fast and dangerous though.

My preferences, is to go;

Bristol - Chipping Sodbury - Malmesbury - through some villages over the south downs/marlborough (ish) and stay north of the M4. Nicer route with more climbs and less fast cars.

Just gonna try and get time to routemap it for you!
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    ^ +1 to avoiding the A4

When I did Newbury to South Wales it went something like Kintbury Hungerford Great Bedwyn Savernake Marlbro .. crossed the M4 at Leigh Delamare to go through Badminton, a Sodbury etc (but you've probably missed 'Nam by this point).

The A4 is direct but the north west from Marlborough is a delight. I plotted a route on GPS and followed that so I didn't have to keep stopping and checking maps.
  • cjcp
    Hmm. Wondering about staying north of the M4 then and stopping at Swindon, going through Windsor and Didcot.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    cjcp wrote:
    Thanks, Medders. Route won't load for me atm, but I'll look at the Theale-Sunbury bit tonight.

I think I may pass ITBoffin's house. Might employ him as a domestique if there's a headwind.

Lol route 4 cuts through my village, it'd be rude not too ;-)

As for the actual route stay away from the A4 being a remote section people tend to gun it, it's bleeding deadly at best.

I've done that route several times via the back lanes (aka Magnificat) it only adds a couple of miles and you might even make it back home alive.

I'll email you the route when I get home.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    :o

Cheers, ITB.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    Oh joy the 20:35 this evening has a bus replacement from Newbury to bedwyn I'm so glad my £400 a month ticket was such a bargain.

Ps from previous exp I know they dont take bikes on the bus, I raced the bus and won by a couple of mins, okay so I took the direct route but still it's only 20 miles.

Cough and the bus got caught in traffic, pah!
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    does anyone have a gpx for Bristol to London plse :roll:
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Sustrans Route 482 goes directly from Swindon to Marlborough but its a bit rough for a road bike - nice route from Chiseldon to Marlborough over the downs though using Route 45 and 254