New Laptop

IcarusGreen
IcarusGreen Posts: 1,486
edited January 2011 in The hub
I know there's some computer boffins in the crudcatcher so can any one recommend me a laptop? I've got about £500 in Amazon voucher and another £400 - £500 on top of that.

I'm also wondering if it's worth waiting for the SSD laptop prices to drop?
+ 1001 posts reset by the cruel cruel moderators!

Giant Trance X4 (2010)
Giant SCR 02 (2006)

Comments

• projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    I'd be tempted to sell the amazon voucher to someone, you'd then have more to spend and won't be limited to buying from amazon.

It really depends what you want it to do really, for instance, is a cd/dvd necessary?
    also depends on how big you want the screen, what you're using it for, such as document editing, playing games, watching videos etc.
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • IcarusGreen
    IcarusGreen Posts: 1,486
    I'm looking at around a 15" screen. I use it mostly for the web, work and study but when I go away (quite often), it is my whole entertainment centre, Music, films, games. A cd drive isn't as necessary as it once was as most things are on hard drives or downloaded now.
    + 1001 posts reset by the cruel cruel moderators!

Giant Trance X4 (2010)
    Giant SCR 02 (2006)
  • Duffer
    Duffer Posts: 379
    I'd wait a few months for the new AMD Fusion processors to be released. They're reckoned to be a big step forwards in terms of on-board graphics.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Macbook or Macbook Pro. I have a Macbook pro and it's great. So much cooler looking than a windows laptop, very well specced, and I find OSX FAR easier to use than windows in terms of the user interface. There are certain programs it won't run, however, it's comparatively less than a few years ago, and you can always dual boot windows on there if you really want.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • yoohoo999
    yoohoo999 Posts: 940
    Macbook Pro.

As a Windows user for all of my life, I was a bit apprehensive about the move across. I bought a Macbook Pro in September.

Now I realise how poor Windows (and the programs designed to run on it) truly is.

I've stuck Windows 7 on a partition (via bootcamp) and I've not had to use it once.

Also, the build quality of the Macbook Pro blows pretty much everything else on the market out of the water.