What bike?

chuck1
chuck1 Posts: 4
edited January 2011 in Amateur race
Hi, I've been road biking for around a year now and am wanting to join the local club with the intentions of racing this season. I recently sold my previous bike looking to upgrade but am unsure as to what to.
The bikes I am considering are the CAAD 10 ultegra, Spec tarmac comp or the felt f5. I can get them all for around the same price (work at retailer) and was wanting one that will be good for both training on and racing.
I understand the CAAD 10 is supposed to be a very good ally frame however am slightly sceptical as to how comfortable it will still be compared to the others over the longer rides. The tarmac initially caught my interest however the other two are considerably lighter bikes (around 1kg).
Another factor is after a years use what would the value of these bike be as I was hoping to maybe get back what I'd paid for it (1100-1200). Thanks.

Comments

• P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Try them and buy the one you like best.

You will never get back even nearly what you pay for a bike. Why would you even think it's a possibility?
  • Surfr
    Surfr Posts: 243
    You can basically half the RRp of a bike when it comes time to sell it, even if it's only a few months old. You can probably add 20% reduction per year thereafter too, especially with the .mass market models you've mentioned in your post.
  • chuck1
    Ok cheers for the responses, I guess I'll just have to try them and compare then. I was just hoping with buying them already so much cheaper I maybe able to break even but I guess not. Thanks.
  • emx
    emx Posts: 164
    Chuck1 wrote:
    Another factor is after a years use what would the value of these bike be
    you planning on packing in after one season then..??
    Chuck1 wrote:
    as I was hoping to maybe get back what I'd paid for it (1100-1200). Thanks.

Do you know of any other items that are worth 100% of retail price after a year's use..?
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    I think his point was that he isn't going to be paying retail. The Bikeradar review of the Specialized tarmac comp has it at £1899 for instance. If he gets it for £1100 he's doing very well.

My own gut view would be that you would be looking at less than a grand after a year - but who knows? You'll get whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

James
  • chuck1
    No I am hoping to continue however as I would be new to racing I would want to to start off with one of those bikes listed and if get more involved then maybe upgrade which would mean getting a new one in a years time. I understand it would not be worth 100% of the rrp however as I would only be paying 60% rrp for the bike in the first place.
  • emx
    emx Posts: 164
    The Tarmac frame is very good - you will probably find yourself hanging on to the frame and swapping components as/when needed. I don't know any club racers that replace their entire bike every year...