Halfords Bike failure what come back do I have.

2»

Comments

• Stuy-b
    Stuy-b Posts: 248
    Just out of interest
    1. What halfords store do you work at?
    2. What bike did you buy?
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Fault on both sides here I think. On balance I think Halfords are at greater fault. They knowingly permitted the bike to be removed the first time without the PDI. They have a duty of care to employees, to protect employee stupidity. That it was able to easily happen a second time suggests that there was a lack of implementing health and safety policies at that paticular store.

Too many unknowns on the story for me to have much more of an opinion than this.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Halfords didnt really allow the bike to go. The OP basically stole it ? He knew it hadnt been checked and therefore shouldnt have gone out.

What would you suggest they do - the store manager chains up every single bike every night.

And I dont believe that riding into the back of a parked car is a braking fault. More that the bloke wasnt looking where he was going, then he looked up and saw the car there. Brakes or not - he would probably have hit it - otherwise you'd just go round ?
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    dilemna wrote:

If you have been employed with them for less than 12 months you have no employment rights to bring a claim of unfair dismissal. .

That is not true anymore

Your authority please?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Strange that George_Walker hasn't been back to respond to the advice dished out here. :roll:
    He must be a wind-up merchant having a bit of fun with all of us who have bothered to respond. :(
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Lillywhite wrote:
    Strange that George_Walker hasn't been back to respond to the advice dished out here. :roll:
    He must be a wind-up merchant having a bit of fun with all of us who have bothered to respond. :(

Yeah, the thought had crossed my mind too. I don't suppose his name is George Walker either :lol: .
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    Lillywhite wrote:
    Strange that George_Walker hasn't been back to respond to the advice dished out here. :roll:

To be honest I think he's just a very young, naive guy who probably feels a little belittled by some of the comments. I think I'd be too embarrassed also having read some of these!

Never mind hey, think he gets the message though :lol:
  • What is wrong with personal responsibility? You rode a bike knowing the brakes were not right (or should have known as they hadn't been working previously). You crashed. Your fault. Simple.

The law may say otherwise but the law is dumb sometimes. Sorry for you being injured don't get me wrong but the fact that some people think you should pursue it explains why we are drowning in red tape and health and safety nonsense.
  • ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    cougie wrote:
    The OP basically stole it ?

Intention to deprive? He'd bought the bike. </pedant>
  • Sounds like GW f****d up and after 10 days hard thought, has decided somebody else must be to blame for his prang. There are several basic errors in the story that an amateur litigator would easily dissolve in a court. What is it about people nowadays, that they do not want to take responsibility for their own mistakes? In stead they do a bullshit post like this!!! Please George get a life or live it. Best award you may get is a laureate for this story :D