TV coverage of the tour down under??!!

sidrhino
sidrhino Posts: 26
edited January 2011 in The bottom bracket
Please feel free to tell me if you feel I'm getting worked up for no reason. Not one bit of news or coverage of the TDU on the BBC, Why? Why is it that we treat this sport as a minority sport? has th :evil: e nation fallen out of love with the sport which has provided us with medals and fantastic riders like Mark Cavendish.
How do we as a group can bring about a change of attitude? As a licence payer I would like to see a fair representation of this sport. I would welcome your views. Rant not over yet but I feel there must be others who share these thoughts :evil:

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    It's a pretty small race in the grand scheme of pro cycling. It's being covered on Sky Sports though.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    sidrhino wrote:
    Please feel free to tell me if you feel I'm getting worked up for no reason. Not one bit of news or coverage of the TDU on the BBC, Why? Why is it that we treat this sport as a minority sport? has th :evil: e nation fallen out of love with the sport which has provided us with medals and fantastic riders like Mark Cavendish.
    How do we as a group can bring about a change of attitude? As a licence payer I would like to see a fair representation of this sport. I would welcome your views. Rant not over yet but I feel there must be others who share these thoughts :evil:

Because in this country, it is a minority sport - not in terms of participation as a leisure activity, but as a competitive sport yes.

+ the TDU is a dull race, cant be arsed to watch it on Sky or Eurosport or whatever channel its on.
  • Richard_D
    Richard_D Posts: 320
    That is because according to the media there is only one sport and it is football. Even with the other big sports compare the column inches dedicated to football compared to Rugby, Cricket etc.
    The price wars for Football saw all the other sports lose out. How much Badminton, Squash, Tabletennis,etc. do you now see on TV? We have world champions go unnoticed by the mass populace as all they see is footie. When I was growing up the National championships and All England tournements of the above sports would make it on to mainstream TV with programs dedicated to them. Now we might get a highlights program tucked away mid week and late at night weeks after the event if we are lucky. At least the TDU made it onto the frontpage of BBC sport web site.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Even in cycling terms the TdU isnt that big a race. I'm amazed the winner gets half as many UCI points for winning it as the winner of the TdF!