USA coast to coast...need advice on insurers please.

simonn
simonn Posts: 88
edited March 2011 in Tour & expedition
Hello,

I've committed to a coast to coast across America in 3 months' time, and checked with my travel insurance provider to see how I'm covered. Not very well it appears!

Can anyone recommend an insurance company for such a trip: if it makes any difference, the trip duration is 33 days.

As ever, any help and advice is gratefully received!

Cheers,

Simon.

Comments

• Simple Travel have been good for me although never had to claim so far but cover appears good to price.
  • simonn
    simonn Posts: 88
    Hi W.B.,

Many thanks for your suggestion- I will give them a call.

Cheers,

Simon.
  • On a related note, what insurance do people get for a long tour (up to a year)?
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Or, can anyone recommend an insurer that will cover two touring bikes which are used almost daily for commuting, but also for trips away?

Is the CTC company the best for money?
    I've spend four hours trying to research this, and my brain's addled- I'm no further forward.
  • In summer 2006 I rode from San Francisco to New York City, a great trip through some incredible scenery.
    I eventually got round to finishing my book last summer. Alcatraz to Liberty, £7.00 plus a little for postage, supporting a very worthwhile humanitarian project in Mozambique.
    Post up a message if interested!

Best of luck for your trip! I got insurance through my teachers union who were doing a deal. I didn't bother with insurance for the bike etc, maybe I should have. The important thing for me was to have medical cover to avoid those heavy US medical bills! I paid £52 for the 8 weeks, I remember.
  • satanas
    satanas Posts: 1,303
    Make sure you have good medical cover. Apart from that, be careful with your stuff and invest in a good lock if you'll be spending time in US cities - which I'd highly recommend avoiding if possible. In rural areas a much more basic lock should be fine.