Crudites advice needed

Raymondavalon
Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
edited January 2011 in The Crudcatcher
I am slowly but surely getting my On-One 456 built. I'm building it for my son who, unlike me, can actually ride a bike
He's coming over to the UK in June to spend a few months here in the summer, he's 21 and he'll be taking the bike back with him

The build is coming along fine, I [obviously] have the frame complete with headset
Forks: RS Revelation Team, U-Turn 150mm
Wheels: DT Swiss X430 on WTB LaserDisc Superduty hubs, s
Brakes: Avid Elixir 203mmF/186mmR, Cleansweep 3 rotors
Stem, bars, seatpost, saddle and grips
I am still to buy the derailleurs and shifters, no rush those are minor details

I've just bought me an FSA Xtreme Chainset Mega Exo in 32/22 crankset and this is where I need advice. This is an external type BB which is what I want

But I also I want to fit a chainguide/bashring combo on the bike and I've been looking at the Blackspire Dewlie as an option
So, I see they come in three flavours, one just stays 4 bolt, white, the second option is ISCG and then ISCG 05
Please advise me as to whether it's a "normal", ISCG or ISCG 05 for the 456 frames?

HELP! :!:

Think he'll like the bike?

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Normal. ISCG has 3 bolt holes around the BB for mounting a chain guide to, ISCG 05 has the holes slightly wider spaced. You can see an ISCG 05 mount on the Ti 456. Assuming you have a steel 456, there's no extra tabs, so you need a normal chain guide.
  • whyamihere wrote:
    Normal. ISCG has 3 bolt holes around the BB for mounting a chain guide to, ISCG 05 has the holes slightly wider spaced. You can see an ISCG 05 mount on the Ti 456. Assuming you have a steel 456, there's no extra tabs, so you need a normal chain guide.

Herein lays the confusion, the 456 summer seasondoes have the 3 tabs! And this is the summer season frame

So, should I assume it's an ISCG 05?
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Ah, I see your problem. From the picture, that appears to be ISCG (you can see that it's fairly clearly smaller than the ISCG05 on the Ti 456), but I wouldn't like to bet on it. The best idea is probably to give On-One a ring in the morning.

EDIT: Just realised you already have the frame. Here's some drawings of the specs:
    ISCG
    ISCG05

A few seconds with a ruler will tell you.
  • Thanks for that Chris,

I'll measure the bracket and work it out :D
  • You son is bloody lucky, I'd never scrounge anything like that off my parents.
  • You son is bloody lucky, I'd never scrounge anything like that off my parents.

Your failing as a son. I'm married and have my own place on the other side of Europe from my parents, but if they offered to buy me a bike, I would happily oblige them.

This is not quite "scrounging" more of a surprise gift for him coming to visit me...
  • iscg.jpg

ISCG on the left, ISCG 05 on the right..
  • I got an email from On-One confirming the 456 Summer Season is an ISCG fitting

Thanks for the feedback guys
  • well, i really meant to say that i'd never get anything as nice as that off my parents. I try to scrounge but it never works.
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    i take it we will get to see pics of the finished build to have a look at ?
  • i take it we will get to see pics of the finished build to have a look at ?

Sheeps, absolutely, but the build will be a little delayed as I am relocating [again!!]
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    i take it we will get to see pics of the finished build to have a look at ?

Sheeps, absolutely, but the build will be a little delayed as I am a gypsie
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Oh also the mounts on the summer season are quite often on the piss. But nothing a little persuasion with a medium grade hammer won't resolve.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    i would get a 34 or 36t ring on the front if i were you
  • jay12 wrote:

I do intend on changing it to a 36T :¬)
  • jay12 wrote:

what do you know? you're like, 12 years old :roll: