Forum home Mountain biking forum Routes, rides and holidays Routes

Manchester?

TreguardTreguard Posts: 27
edited January 2011 in Routes
Does anyone know what relatively easy routes there are in the Manchester area? I'm pretty much limited to the canals at the moment as I'm trying to build myself up (avoid the roads these days lol) but any routes with gentle slopes would certainly be considered if there are any suggestions floating about?

Posts

  • bellysbellys Posts: 456
    loads of places on your door step.
    denton woods, tamevalley, reddish vale, roman lakes very good with nice down hills, all with in riding distance from manchester...i also have a look at this lot i ride with them http://www.meetup.com/Manchester-Mountain-Bikers/
  • Where abouts are you from? Heading up to North manchester there is Lee and Cragg quarry, cragg being the easier of the two!
  • Based in Failsworth. It's kind of sad that I've lived here for 18 years but don't know all of the routes. Mind you, as a kid I just used to ride around the park and local roads :) Thanks very much for those suggestions and for the link bellys. I might see you there some sunny day :)
  • bellysbellys Posts: 456
    Treguard wrote:
    Based in Failsworth. It's kind of sad that I've lived here for 18 years but don't know all of the routes. Mind you, as a kid I just used to ride around the park and local roads :) Thanks very much for those suggestions and for the link bellys. I might see you there some sunny day :)[/quote

    sunny day thats you not riding much :lol: ]
  • Across the road from the Sportsmans on broadway you can pick up the canal and ride right the way upto Hollingworth lake and back a total of about 20mls of easy riding but will get your endurance up. You can stop and turn back at anytime until you get the full miles in. Once you've got your legs there's tonnes of off road starting from the lake.
  • Treguard wrote:
    Does anyone know what relatively easy routes there are in the Manchester area? I'm pretty much limited to the canals at the moment as I'm trying to build myself up (avoid the roads these days lol) but any routes with gentle slopes would certainly be considered if there are any suggestions floating about?

    aguesty1 wrote:
    Where abouts are you from? Heading up to North manchester there is Lee and Cragg quarry, cragg being the easier of the two!

    Lee quarry is hardly easy though.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • mcnultycopmcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Hothouse wrote:
    Across the road from the Sportsmans on broadway you can pick up the canal and ride right the way upto Hollingworth lake and back a total of about 20mls of easy riding but will get your endurance up. You can stop and turn back at anytime until you get the full miles in. Once you've got your legs there's tonnes of off road starting from the lake.

    Turn off about 3 or 4 miles up towards Tandle Hill and there are loads of nice little tracks up there.
Sign In or Register to comment.