faulty on Guard Pitbull lock advice

bilsea159
bilsea159 Posts: 256
edited February 2011 in Commuting general
Have an on guard pitbull lock which appears to be faulty after light use over a year. THe lock appears to stick when turning the key but after careful key manipulation finally unlocks. I have soaked the locking mech with wd40 to penetrate it but to no avail. My question is has anyone sent a lock back to the distributor or original retailer and got an exchange, I do not want to throw it away as most of my locks last me many years.

Comments

• jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    edited January 2011
    I NEVER use wd40 or any oil on locks, locks will jam eventually due to accumulation of debris, the best thing to do is.

1. WASH it completely in GOOD liquid in hot water, try Fairy,
    2. Rinse COMPLETELY,
    3. Take a pencil and remoge graphite core mix
    4. Crush core fully, I use a good hammer on old tin lid, you need POWDER NO lumps
    5. Pour in lock and work in.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/graphite-lock-l ... &u=strat15

This however is a liquid mix, the pencil is 100%, but it is still good.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • paulus69
    paulus69 Posts: 160
    The pencil is a good trick, although be careful that you do wash your lock out after using the fairy as it contains salt which can accelerate the production of rust
    Me on Strava
    My cycling blog
    Specialized Secteur 2012 / Carrera Vulcan v-spec
  • djrock
    djrock Posts: 66
    I would say its fine to use wd40 to get the lock working again and to clean it, but even though there’s not a lot of lubrication it can attract dirt.

Not sure I would wash it out with soap and water. I would probably use meths or pure alcohol.

You could use sandpaper to to make fine graphite power from a pencil but the trouble is that a pencil is not pure graphite.

If you use graphite power you only need very little! Too much in the lock cylinder can cause problems! Also don't be tempted down the line to spray it with abit of oil since this makes a gunky mess and you will need to clean the cylinder again.

I have read that silicon spray is ok to use on lock cylinders.

I would use spray grease for the internal workings of the d lock.

Be extremely careful with the key while trying to get it working smoothly, since I have heard you can bend the keys easily. To me it sounds like people are just being too forceful with the key.
  • jeremyrundle
    djrock wrote:

If you use graphite power you only need very little! Too much in the lock cylinder can cause problems! Also don't be tempted down the line to spray it with abit of oil since this makes a gunky mess and you will need to clean the cylinder again.

Which is why I said pencil lead (oh, yes I know it is not lead either).

I was simply offering a simpe solution with readily available household items, silicon spray, meths etc people rarely have.

Oh and....Coca-Cola... yes, leave it in the toilet overnight instead of bleech, it is better, try it, and safe around children, soak a lock in it for a few hours to free it, wash well after, WD40 is a water repellant not a lube.

• djrock
    djrock Posts: 66
    I was just pointing it out that you can put too much graphite in and cause problems.

I was pointing out another way, which is better if they have meths or pure alcohol in the cupboard.

It is amazing what cola can clean and we drink it. :o Not sure if I would soak a lock in it. I would do it more to locks that you can strip down just in case something goes wrong.

I think WD40 does have some lubricant in it but I don' really see it as a lubricate more a cleaner/get something moving again to lube it with proper stuff.
  • " 1. WASH it completely in GOOD liquid in hot water, try Fairy, "

You really do not wish to do this.

" Not sure I would wash it out with soap and water. I would probably use meths or pure alcohol. "

Getting onto the right track now Meths or white spirit will evaporate at a rate according to the ambient temperature. All the degunge goodness with no left behind residue to attract oily dirty particles of not so goodness.

Meths or white spirit not readily available?
    Try buying some from a local hardware store or B&Q.

If people can afford the time to purchase & use exotic lubes such as Finish Line then I hardly think purchasing a bit of white spirit is going to break the bank financially or indeed timewise. :lol:

Ps white spirit is great for degreasing chains, cassetes & chainrings you can even get a version which is friendly to the enviroment nowadays :wink:
  • jeremyrundle
    edited January 2011
    As I said I spoke of what most people have in doors,. not having to go out to buy things, The Cannondale Bad boy bike I used the other day had its deurailer sieze and I used a pencil crushed to fix that,

• Loving the boy comment.

Is that always the terminology you use Jeremy when your point of view contradicts somebody elses?

White spirit for the aforementioned uses should be a part of any cyclists toolkit ( people riding BSO'S obvioulsy do not count ).

I paint the house all the time hence a supply of white spirit.

Sticking something akin to 5-15% anionic surfactants with water anywhere near a bike should raise alarm bells to those in the know.

Have a good day Jeremy :)
  • jeremyrundle
    nmac_2011 wrote:
    Loving the boy comment.

Is that always the terminology you use Jeremy when your point of view contradicts somebody elses?

White spirit for the aforementioned uses should be a part of any cyclists toolkit ( people riding BSO'S obvioulsy do not count ).

I paint the house all the time hence a supply of white spirit.

Sticking something akin to 5-15% anionic surfactants with water anywhere near a bike should raise alarm bells to those in the know.

Have a good day Jeremy :)

Sorry in fact it should have read

The Cannondale Bad boy bike I used the other day had its deurailer sieze and I used a pencil crushed to fix that, wow better take care to be 100% perfect in future,.....

And I don't paint my house so I do not, I have someone I pay to do that sort of thing.

• Din't know if this is the same problem but I have one of these and the shim can slip down meaning the lock can't engage. You might want to check that before you send it back.
  • Same here as Brian

Had the same problem on my on guard lock. Realised that the the shim on one end of the "U" can slip down after a while. It leads to the symptoms you have said. Easy to correct, just give it a wack back up the bar and it's as good as new.