6061 Alloy Frame

RJBroughton
RJBroughton Posts: 10
edited February 2011 in MTB general
Hello all, quick question:

I have recently bought a Diamondback absinthe 29er which has a 20" 6061 alloy frame, RST M29 forks and obviously 29 inch wheels. I'm strongly considering getting a regular 26er instead of keeping the 29er but I'm very fond of the everything about the mountain bike that I have just bought apart from the 29 inch wheels. My question is that if I change the RST M29 forks and 29er wheels to a 26er fork and 26er wheels and add them to the 6061 20" 29er frame will it be the same as a 26er mountain bike built to be a 26er? Or is the 29er frame not the same as a 26er frame (without the forks that is)?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nope not a good idea.

in fact a very bad idea.

keep it or sell it and get a 26" bike if that is what you feel you need.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Ok fair enough thanks for your advice but why wouldn't that work?
  • 5pudgun
    5pudgun Posts: 402
    Why don't you like it?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Ok fair enough thanks for your advice but why wouldn't that work?

The geometry of the frame would not be designed for it.
  • 5pudgun wrote:
    Why don't you like it?

Because parts will be a lot more difficult to come by as 90% of mountain bikes are 26ers not 29ers and the wheels look too big for my liking and I'd prefer to have the additional handling and acceleration that comes with a 26er.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    5pudgun wrote:
    Why don't you like it?

Because parts will be a lot more difficult to come by as 90% of mountain bikes are 26ers not 29ers and the wheels look too big for my liking and I'd prefer to have the additional handling and acceleration that comes with a 26er.

there is nothing on it that will be hard to come by.

tyres are easy to find. rims are not hard to get. Spokes again not hard.

there rest is very easy to find.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks Nick,

Do you have a 29er? You seem to know a lot about them. If so, convince me to keep it because there is a part of me that wants to haha.
  • stuisnew
    stuisnew Posts: 366
    have you picked up a mtb magazine recently - 29ers are massive in America and starting to make waves over here, and as a result all the normal aftermarket parts you need will be easy to find. And you've only just got the bike so don't worry about replacement bits just yet!! :lol:

Your idea to convert it to 26 wont work, as supersonic says the geometry is designed with the larger tyres in mind so the angles are going to be skewed if you take 3inches of height from the wheels. On another note, the cost of 2 x wheels, forks and frame are going to be the same as what you paid for the complete bike anway.

May be a stupid question and I'm not trying to rub salt in your wounds but can I ask what made you get a 29 in the first place if you don't like the look of them or the feel, was it an impulse buy?
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    stuisnew wrote:
    have you picked up a mtb magazine recently - 29ers are massive in America and starting to make waves over here, and as a result all the normal aftermarket parts you need will be easy to find. And you've only just got the bike so don't worry about replacement bits just yet!! :lol:

Your idea to convert it to 26 wont work, as supersonic says the geometry is designed with the larger tyres in mind so the angles are going to be skewed if you take 1.5 inches of height from the wheels. On another note, the cost of 2 x wheels, forks and frame are going to be the same as what you paid for the complete bike anway.

May be a stupid question and I'm not trying to rub salt in your wounds but can I ask what made you get a 29 in the first place if you don't like the look of them or the feel, was it an impulse buy?

Fixed for you.

But yeh parts are easy to come by as 29ers are starting to hit the shops more often and more people are wanting them. Only really wheel area has 29er specific parts the rest is generally mix and match.
  • Yes it was mostly an impulse buy because I got it for a good price and I'm tall so I felt that it would be a good idea but now that I've tried it I prefer the idea of a 26er. Thanks for all the replies.
  • stuisnew
    stuisnew Posts: 366
    heez29

bad maths and quick posting = mistake! Thanks for correcting me!

RJ

Are you still giving it a go to see if you change your mind or have you ditched it?Just wondered if another week or 10 days and hopefully a few rides has made you change you mind.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    29ers are the way forward no matter how tall you are! :D
    as others have said not worth choping bits about but as a fast XC machine you have a good basic set up there, TBH the lack of acceleration you wont notice unless your a XC racer and the bigger wheels will make it faster and easier on everything else.
    As for specific stuff for 29ers, forks wheels and tyres are the only thing, plenty of choice on all of the above if you look in the right places.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Rindle
    Rindle Posts: 219
    I personally think 29ers look better when you have big frames for taller riders. Have you ridden a 26er much how do you know you'll like that more. Save up and have both.