sweaty jacket

thelawnet
thelawnet Posts: 719
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
Just bought a red waterproof Altura Night Vision Evo jacket, having not had any cycling clothes before.

It looks very nice (which is why I bought it), but I find that even in this cold weather I'm bathed in sweat (I do go fairly hard) - basically I'm wearing say cotton t-shirt, thin sweater and the jacket, the sweat just stays in the t-shirt and sweater and has nowhere to go.

Did I buy the wrong kind of jacket?

Comments

• pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    Try wearing a breathable synthetic or (preferably) merino baselayer underneath. Cotton will just trap sweat.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    No, you're wearing the wrong kind of t shirt and sweater.
    You need something that'll let the sweat away from your skin.

Look for something like a merino base layer, that with the jacket should do you fine in most weather.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    The problem with jackets is that you can get a waterproof one OR a breathable one. It's a trade off really. I find with my waterproof jacket that if I unzip the front by about 1/4 and slightly unzip the pit zips I have no sweat or 'boil in the bag' problems at all, but not all jackets have under arm zips. If it starts to rain then I just zip up and I'm considerably dryer, even with sweat, than I otherwise would be...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • +1 for merino or wicking base layer
    make sure you set off cold or cool....you'll soon warm up and could be just wearing one too many layers.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    If you're near a Decathlon then have a look there, they've got good cheap kit

I'm wearing a merino base and this
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-long-sleeve ... rsey-2011/
    No jacket.

and it's fine for my commute (London, so not that cold)

Cold for first minute or two, then I warm up and I'm quite toasty but not sweating profusely when I arrive at work
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    If you don't fancy Merino I use these and they are very good and not as expensive.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-corefit-lon ... ase-layer/
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    I love merino because it can go a whole week without washing. I was in a similar position to you though, and find a breathable softshell a better option for commuting. 40mins of heavy rain doesn't get through much, and you don't end up drenched in sweat.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    +1 on softshell. I heard good things about the Gore Phantom 2 but it was not exactly cut of the larger gentleman. After much searching I now have one of these and very pleased with it.

http://www.greyville.com/products/5758- ... ferer=true
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    ^^ It's a Phantom II I've got, cheap second hand from eBay. Perfect for winter commuting. It is cut pretty slim though :D
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    ive also gone from altura boil in the bag , to an endura(non-waterproof) softshell windchill jacket. IMO (and very limitted experience compared to some here of less than 2 years of commuting), waterproof jackets are the most overrated bit of kit out there. You can be wet and comfortable if you dress right (skin is waterproof after all!). Even in what you might categorise as "tipping it down" My windchill jacket is barely damp on the front (where it has a windtex membrane) and remains totally dry on the back (where it is super roubaix with no membrane) after my 15 mile commute. Inside the jacket I am almost always dry, and always comfortable even if not dry . I believe that if you have a high workrate on the bike and dont overdress, then up to a certain precipitation rate (possibly around 10mm/hr???) the majority of the rain evaporates from a softshell that has an effective DWP, within about 15mins of no rain.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... cket-32190
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    When I used gortex, I only wore it when raining. For dry conditions, a non-waterproof breathable is far better. Membrane windproofs are not worth the effort when you can get good, cheap, durable ones from a very tight-weave fabric such as pertex.
    Merino is excellent as a base layer but with a suitable shell, synthetic ones can be OK.

I use wooly jumpers as midlayer.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I don't have a lot to add except that I wear softshells and expect them to get sweaty. It sounds like you're wearing far too much and the wrong stuff. I wear a very thin baselayer (Nike Pro) under a Gore Phantom 2 or Assos Airjack for temps -4C to 4C. Above that, I wear just the softshell.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    I wear a Paramo Fuera smock in most conditions (adjusting base and mid layers to suit temperature).

http://www.paramo.co.uk/en-gb/garments/ ... UERAUNISEX

Only about £45 and I absolutely love it. Not cycling specific but the cut is good for on the bike anyway. Really light and packs up really small too. And although not advertised as waterproof it'll hold up pretty well in a light shower.