What shoes?

timmyflash
timmyflash Posts: 526
edited January 2011 in Road buying advice
Feel the need to upgrade to some 'proper' shoes after a couple of years using my mtb shoes (didn't originally realise there was a difference when i bought them!).

I've not tried any on and to be honest wouldn't know what to look for, so am basically going off reviews and recommendations.

Originally thought about Mavic Avenirs for £76, then saw all the pretty pictures of Sidi Ergo 2s for £189, but also seen the Gaerne Carbon G. Fora for £122. I'm happy to pay a higher price if they really are decent shoes and last a fair bit, so am moving towards the Gaerne or Sidis.

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Anyone recommend a shop in London that stocks a lot of brands / models?

p.s. need pedals as well if that makes a difference. Also clueless on this front
Steel Blue Fixed - Orange Backpack Cover

How do i get a link to a photo in here?!

Fixeh

Comments

• RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Hi Timmy

Your post suggests that you're happy moving from spd's to cleats. I would suggest that you consider the whole package, i.e. shoes and pedals and take it from there.

First decision to be honest might be along the lines of conventional (pedals) vs. speedplays. There are a few topics on this one here if you have a search.

When it comes to shoes, personally I would go for a fitting rather than rely only on the mail order option as sizing can be a bit of a lottery depending on brand.

Good luck, Ron.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    edited January 2011
    Best to try before you buy if you can, but I can certainly vouch for the build quality, comfort and looks of Sidi's. Certainly my shoe of choice.
  • So long as they feel comfortable, i'm starting to think about the Sidis. Was just hoping someone might say, "X are just as good and cost X less!"

Quite a lot of money, but i'm happy to pay a premium for decent stuff that lasts rather than upgrading a year down the line

Fixeh
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I've been riding for years on a road bike with MTB shoes.
    Being able to walk on them is a real advantage
    I use Specialized Comp MTB shoes which are fairly rigid, light and comfortable
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Sidis will feel like slippers on your feet timmyflash, must admit it's hard to buy anthing else., so comfy .... critical that you try before you buy though.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Sidi are a favourite brand on here as are Specialized. Gaerne look nice but so do DMT or Vittoria. Some makes are actually made by another firm eg DMT did Shimano and Nike as well as their own. Vittoria look v.similar to DMT. The new Giro range looks good and Lakes are an under the radar brand that offer some stuff like thermo moulding. Not cheap tho'
    M.Rushton
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Anything will feel like slippers if they fit...
  • Anyone recommend any shops in London that actually stock lots of brands / models? Would like to try on a few.

Just went to local evens near work, which proved useless..

As for pedals, is that just a looks / weight thing? Although you can clip in both sides on speedplay? Or doe some shoes only fit some pedals?

Cheers for replies

Fixeh
  • sfichele
    sfichele Posts: 605
    Recently got some new Time I-Clic pedals and Mavic Galibier shoes after "upgrading" from spds. Can definitely recommend both, the mavics were down from £150 to £99 at Evans
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Also when fitting new shoes, try them on after a long ride or having been on your feet all day. Feet tend to swell a bit after a workout and can affect the fit.
  • sonny73
    timmyflash wrote:
    Anyone recommend any shops in London that actually stock lots of brands / models? Would like to try on a few.
    Try http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/Pages/Contact.asp they stock Sidi's.
    58585 Posts: 207
    There is an issue of compatibility with shoes, you need to make sure that the shoe has the right bolt arrangement for the cleat (2 or 3 bolt).
    If you find the sidi shoes comfortable and are prepared to pay the asking price then go for them; I won't wear any thing else now.
    Sidi genius + keo pedals is a bullet proof combo.
  • sonny73
    58585 wrote:
    Sidi genius + keo pedals is a bullet proof combo.
    +1
  • Sonny73 wrote:
    timmyflash wrote:
    Anyone recommend any shops in London that actually stock lots of brands / models? Would like to try on a few.
    Try http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/Pages/Contact.asp they stock Sidi's.

Ahh, excellent. Thanks very much.

Fixeh
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Specialized and Northwave, for normal sized feet :wink:
  • Dadmo
    Dadmo Posts: 61
    I switched from Specialized to Sidi a year ago - and I won't be going back. But Sidis can be a problem with wide feet.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Garry H wrote:
    Anything will feel like slippers if they fit...
    Not true it's just that some shoes feel like slippers more than others, you obviously haven't had Sidis .....
  • Timmyflash - if you buy Sidi, be careful, as they come up small, and you may need to go up a size, particularly if you wear thick winter socks.

I went for Sidi Genius 5.1 - a fantastic well built and comfortable shoe.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,897
    in the cycle surgery sale they're selling specialized s-works road shoes for 140 quid (usually they're 200)

they are the 2009/2010 model, but tbh i prefer the old design to the 2011 one

i've had a pair for just over a year, very comfy, use them every day, still plenty of life in them, but i couldn't resist buying another pair at that price

there are a few cs stores in london
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny