Recommend similar bike to Salsa fargo for heavy bloke

dombat
dombat Posts: 96
edited January 2011 in Commuting general
I've just discovered that my new employer runs the cycle to work scheme which immediately got me highly excited!

I need a strong bike, mainly because I'm fat (110Kg), carry a pannier to work which can be another 10Kg and the towpath I ride on can get very very rough (full of bricks).

I was thinking something like a Salsa fargo, but for some reason it seems to be about £1800. Maybe a Planet-X kaffenback (if they're still made)?

What else can be recommended? I currently ride an Revolution Courier 8 speed MTB.

Comments

• ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    Double tube transporter?
  • dombat
    dombat Posts: 96
    I was tempted by a Yuba Mundo, but think it's too heavy to do 24 miles a day!
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    What about a Genesis Day One Alfine/Croix de Fer or some kind of On One Pompetamine? There's the Singular Peregrine too, but that could be pricey to build up nice.
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    What is "fat" I am overweight, I have Saracens and a custom built

Hang on, after a bit of googling that makes you about 15 stone SKINNY *&^%.

I a more than that, stop worrying.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    The planet x kaffenbach is a great frame (only £99 at the moment) only issue is that the post mounts for the brakes are canti and the majority of canti brakes arent great for road use with high weights.

You can get it with disc mounts, but if your going to go that route the the Genesis Croix de fer is a good choice ( currently holds the round the world record ) or even they're day one.

Cycling plus edition 243 (December 2010) had a great test of bikes of this nature which the charge Hi filter won.

I would imagine the majority of most modern tourer/ cx frames will handle your weight and the most important choice will be wheels.

Maybe go for handbuilts with a 32 spoke pattern and rims which will accomodate a 28mm plus tyre (along with the frame clearances)
  • I'm 115 KGs ish and ride a Ridgeback Bullit for an 18 mile each way trip. Good as gold !