Gutted

cumbriamike
cumbriamike Posts: 75
I have never been lucky in draws and raffles and guess what. As I scrolled down the Fred Whitton riders list, with relief I saw my surname (twice) but unfortunately not my first name. Gutted to say the least but pleased for all the riders that did :( Honest

Comments

• Fat Head
    Fat Head Posts: 765
    Mike, I can imagine how you feel mate. It's a great day out and a reason to get out on the bike for some training in the cold winter and spring. Hope you'll be out watching if you live close enough....

I'm in. Strange event - you spend the whole event wishing you never entered but three hours after you finish you want to do it the next year!

Only problem now is I have to think about how to train for the TT season and it's 20odd minute 100% blasts on dragstrips, and a big stinking 115 mile sportive that goes up steep roads :?
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    Open roads mean anyone can do the event.
  • Dr M
    Dr M Posts: 171
    i'm not in either but a mate i ride / train with is :(

I'll still go out training wih him for it, and will try get an entry later on if theres any drop-outs, otherwise i think i'll get a timing card for the 4 seasons fred and do it the weekend after on my own just to see how hard it is! Wont be the same without the atmosphere on the day though...
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    First time on this event and got in.

Looking forward to it.
  • AndyRubio wrote:
    Open roads mean anyone can do the event.

Its got to that point that whether anyone likes it or not, there will be dozens of riders taking part who couldn't get in officially ...
  • holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    See The big FW :cry:
  • I looked today and got all excited that the list was up..........name not on the list....absolutely gutted. Balls, arse bugger!
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    http://steve-lamarmotte2012.blogspot.com/
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    :cry:
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    If you ask closer to the date there are bound to be withdrawals - I reckon if you are dead set on doing it chances are you'd get a place.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Rushie
    Rushie Posts: 115
    Got in last year and loved it. Didn't get entry this year - v.disappointed. Going to go up the weekend after and do it myself - got to try to get up the Hardknott this time (and not fall off uphill like I did last year :oops: ) .
  • I'm not in either
  • AndyD2574
    AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
    You have a good chance of geeting an entry..............I contacted them late on in April and still got in last year as loads drop out
    Specialized S Works Venge
    Argon18 E114
    Specialized Langster Single Speed
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
    http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk
  • AndyRubio wrote:
    Open roads mean anyone can do the event

Really, is it wise without the event insurance bearing in mind the route

Its got to that point that whether anyone likes it or not, there will be dozens of riders taking part who couldn't get in officially ...

Didn't know that was the case
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    If too many 'freeloaders' turn up, eventually the future of the event will be under threat. If you don't officially get in, why not arrange to tackle the route with a bunch of mates on another weekend when the roads are quieter?
  • LeighB
    LeighB Posts: 326
    Why not try an alternative event in the North Western area? The FW is a great event but there are others. The Three Counties and Le Terrier are superb events, they don’t have 1000+ riders but they do have absolutely excellent routes, organisation and the proceeds also go to good causes.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    ColinJ wrote:
    If too many 'freeloaders' turn up, eventually the future of the event will be under threat. If you don't officially get in, why not arrange to tackle the route with a bunch of mates on another weekend when the roads are quieter?

They've set up a way of doing the FW on any day of the year anyway. Seems a bit antisocial to turn up without an entry given that the entry restriction is about avoiding too many cyclists on the roads. If I hadn't got in, I'd have either waited til next year or done the any day event.
    Faster than a tent.......