Struggling to ride

shouldbeinbed
shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
Which bike to ride tomorrow?

The big heavy comfy slow one or the stripped down drop bar slow one.

The slow bit is me, I had the flu chesty thing before Christmas but am still struggling to get back up to speed (well speed by my standards) The guy I usually tootle past with a cheery hello whizzed by and left me trailing in his wake again this morning and coming home uphill I've got nothing in my legs for even little bits of hill, but I don't feel at all bad the rest of the time.

Whingy moan over

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Don't worry, I'm in the same place myself.

Normally the 12 odd miles takes me 40 minutes to cycle in, but at the moment it's taking 50. Okay so 10 minutes doesn't sound so bad, except it's a full 25% slower :cry:

I know having to wear heavier gear because of the cold weather does have some impact, but that much? ...sigh...
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Rest up as much as possible. I know its hard not to ride, but if you have another mode of transport, use that for a week or two so that you can come back stronger.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • The damp air helps clear me of snot/mucus, although it's not a pretty site. I read a story a female driver posted of watching a roadie sneeze so hard he fell off (she laughed for three days!), err wasn't me :D
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • Would recommend resting rather then riding. Struggled in two days this week with chesty cough / temperature / cold and on the last trip home promptly had a coughing fit when got off bike. Been very peeved to miss riding in last couple of days as the cold but sunny days are great for riding. After a couple of days rest though the cold is going.
    exercise.png
    FCN = 8