Did anyone else buy Cyclesport and want tneir £4.25 back?

mattsy666
mattsy666 Posts: 91
edited January 2011 in Pro race
Ok, so bought the magazine to read over a quiet beer after a rough day at work ... So is VN's kit the correct color .. Is it funbags ... And is Di luca 'filthy' ...or at least more so than many other riders in the peleton? I wanted journalism and got jaded opinion ...

If this was a product bought from anywhete other than a newsagents then it would be returned ... So what can/do you do?

Comments

• I just read your question and want my 2 minutes back.

What are you trying to say and why do you want your money back?
  • ogre
    ogre Posts: 50
    are you really surprised?

I think all of the road cycle mags have gone downhill, there now seems to be less words, more space, more gap filling and less content. As well as the repeated themes in the training articles.

(gap fillers like silly tables, pointless diagrams etc)

Just don't buy them anymore - save for something useful/interesting.
    Dry and warm days - FCN - 2

Dark wet cold - FCN - 7

:lol: made me chuckle
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).

2 minutes to read all that?

You must be looking forward to starting school in the summer ...
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    mattsy666 wrote:
    I just read your question and want my 2 minutes back.

2 minutes to read all that?

You must be looking forward to starting school in the summer ...

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Good retort there
  • I gave him a fair go and re-read it several times and still couldn't work out what he was going on about. :lol:
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Does read a bit like he was 9 sheets to the wind when he wrote, but it's still a good retort :wink:
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 480
    i must admit to be a little un whelmed to get a subscription as a Christmas present, and after receiving the first edition even worse....

Hopefully it is a really bad edition and they get better as the season goes on....
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    It is the middle of winter, nothing is happening, everyone is on their Xmas holidays and there are pages to be filled.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • What they needed to do was spend some time in the summer building up a stock of features to fill these issues. A quiet winter can surely not have come as a surprise? Broomwagon can be good but the features are getting poorer and the holiday features are lame.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    What they needed to do was spend some time in the summer building up a stock of features to fill these issues. A quiet winter can surely not have come as a surprise? Broomwagon can be good but the features are getting poorer and the holiday features are lame.
    That's it, then I wont buy it again. :roll:
    you saved me a couple of bob, thanks.
    Probably get chucked off this forum for saying that.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    It wasn't a strong issue, but it's the off season.

But, if you want to learn about problems in landfill sites in the Czech Republic, it's the only cycling mag to buy this month.

Personally, I like it because it makes me laugh (probably overpriced though).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    To be honest, I think that my opinion of the magazines is lower than it was pre-internet. Everything's instant now (which is most excellent) but, as a result, the mags are always playing catch-up.

Actually feel sorry for them.
  • What they needed to do was spend some time in the summer building up a stock of features to fill these issues. A quiet winter can surely not have come as a surprise? Broomwagon can be good but the features are getting poorer and the holiday features are lame.

Much as I enjoy seeing a mag from a competitor publisher rubbished, this won't work. Imagine a journalist walking away from the Tour with a bang-up interview with Contador (taped aboard a private flying pig, but that's another rant) thinking 'nothing time-sensitive there, we can publish that in the winter...'

As Will Fotheringham once said to me "I got fed up of doing interviews with top cyclists only to have them test positive three months later."
    John Stevenson
  • Imagine a journalist walking away from the Tour with a bang-up interview with Contador (taped aboard a private flying pig, but that's another rant) thinking 'nothing time-sensitive there, we can publish that in the winter..
    But why should articles be limited to Tour interviews? There are many interesting subjects that a bike magazine could cover in the off season, from historical articles to technical features. How about features looking at what riders are doing out of the season? How about the cross season or the Six days?

On the other hand there is also the problem that the majority of the public seem to want nothing more than 200 word 'features'. I can recall the time when even Cycling Weekly used to run articles of over 3,000 words. Can't see that happening now.
  • Coyote
    Coyote Posts: 212
    No great investigative journalisim for sure but I enjoyed the Emma Pooley article, the opening pop at the trek leopard launch and the broom wagon were worth a laugh but most of all the fact that the black socked bully boy wasn't on the front is a huge plus point!

Last months piece on the Commonwealth Games written by Michael Hutchinson was great.

I might be in the minority in these "I want it yesterday" times but I draw the line at taking the laptop to the bog with me so a mag does me just fine. :wink:
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Meh, just think, at least you didn't buy and then have the pain of reading Cycling Plus. Absolutely awful magazine. Mildly creative re-writing of a manufacturers catalogue interspersed with common sense fitness/diet tips.

Pro-Cycling and Cycle Sport any day thank you.
  • Coyote wrote:
    No great investigative journalisim for sure but I enjoyed the Emma Pooley article, the opening pop at the trek leopard launch and the broom wagon were worth a laugh but most of all the fact that the black socked bully boy wasn't on the front is a huge plus point!

Last months piece on the Commonwealth Games written by Michael Hutchinson was great.

I might be in the minority in these "I want it yesterday" times but I draw the line at taking the laptop to the bog with me so a mag does me just fine. :wink:

I agree with all of this
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    I agree with all of this
    Me too

As for Di Luca, it seems like the sort of thing some editor thought of at drug bust time and has been waiting for an opportunity to use since - "filthy lucre"
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    I get pro-cycling as I cant be doing with endless 'training advice' and reviews of kit all of which gets 9/10 anyway.

It seems to have moved slightly away from 'instant' results and has articles on historical events etc ...

plenty of pretty pictures too

Much as I enjoy seeing a mag from a competitor publisher rubbished, this won't work. Imagine a journalist walking away from the Tour with a bang-up interview with Contador (taped aboard a private flying pig, but that's another rant) thinking 'nothing time-sensitive there, we can publish that in the winter...'

As Will Fotheringham once said to me "I got fed up of doing interviews with top cyclists only to have them test positive three months later."

All valid points John but they are charging nearly a fiver for the mag so should make it worth near that at least. Re-written press releases in 'shop window' and their stance on foreign dopers versus english speakers is just bizzarre. It used to be a good mag, improved with the re-launch a while ago but has gone stale again. Shame. The only good aspect is Lionel Birmie who is a very under-rated writer. I have in th epast bought the mag on the strength of his articles alone but feel that these days his is a lone voice in the IPC stable.
  • EKIMIKE wrote:
    Meh, just think, at least you didn't buy and then have the pain of reading Cycling Plus. Absolutely awful magazine. Mildly creative re-writing of a manufacturers.

One of our bike testers just put herself in hospital researching a catalogue re-write.

How clever do you feel now?
    John Stevenson
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    More, and then more again, about women's racing would be welcome.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    edited January 2011
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    Meh, just think, at least you didn't buy and then have the pain of reading Cycling Plus. Absolutely awful magazine. Mildly creative re-writing of a manufacturers.

One of our bike testers just put herself in hospital researching a catalogue re-write.

I hope the girl is Ok and recovers soon but I don't think the above response was warranted. I'm a subscriber who thinks its a decent read but even so, rightly or wrongly, the desperately similar front cover each month and the monotonous buyers guide at the back can give that impression of the magazine.

I can see why you would want to defend the mag if there is something you feel is erroneous or misinterpretated, just not in this way.

It is also the wrong forum surely to discuss the merits of Cycling Plus.
  • Tusher wrote:
    More, and then more again, about women's racing would be welcome.

By who? Yourself perhaps? :wink:
  • EKIMIKE wrote:

Was there a staple sticking out?

Joking aside ... That's hardly a worthy response to a discussion about the quality of a magazine ... Are you gonna say the postman got a bad back carrying it to someones door next?
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Don't think i'll ever prefer digital over print, but yeah its not a great issue once again for CS this month. The Pooley interview is good and as someone rightly pointed out earlier, last months Commonwealth Games article was possibly the best i've read in the mag. But i'm getting tired of the Pic-padding in CS. Yeah its pretty cool to see some nice pics but not page after page. The mag's are not cheap now, so make them live up to their price tag....
  • EKIMIKE wrote:

Bit out of order this comment really John. From what I can make of the bike reviews in C+ there isn't a crash test and if your testers aren't competent enough to be testing bikes then it is really your responsibility. Fair enough accidents can happen but they shouldn't be show stoppers.

Digital media is far superior to print for results, the areas where you can compete is things like bike tests, interviews and in depth features. Re-writing a press release or being as obviously in the pocket of certain manufacturers as Cycling Weekly is will be easily spotted by your readers who will simply buy a different mag.
  • The accusation was that we simply rewrite catalog copy. We don't.

Put yourself in the position of someone taking an ambulance journey to A&E with a friend and colleague who was out on a test bike, and then tell me my response was a bit out of order. I won't even dignify with a reponse the notion that a rider with a couple of 12-hour time trials under her belt is not competent. Maybe you should just put the spade down now.
    John Stevenson
  • I don't think I accused you of re-writing copy - apologies if it did seem so, it does go on though.

Put yourself in the position of a paying customer. Regardless of how the incident happened, it is your responsibility to ensure that copy gets to the printers in time. The mag was priced the same regardless of the reduced content.

Just out of interest, what happened to make her crash? It's probably unfair to judge without having the full facts.