2011 British Road Race - in the North East

durhamwasp
durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
edited January 2011 in Pro race
http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....

Comments

• Karl2010
    Karl2010 Posts: 511
    fearsome climb of the Ryals.

Is this as fearsome as the Tourmalet?
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    i did the northern rock cyclone in 2009. after about 80 miles i came to the fearsom ryalls in a bit of a state and proceeded to all but sprint up them, i'm by no means a great rider either. i've neevr been so disappointed by a hill before!
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Lets just hope they fill in the pot holes up that way. Roads have been in a state since last year, god knows what they're like after this winter.

And the Ryals aren't that hard. Could have really made the route selective up that way if they'd wanted but they probably don't want the race to be over out of the neutral like it was last year.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • I fully agree that the Ryals are not a long and arduous climb. However if you talk to any of the Pros including Wiggo, Newton, Downing etc as I do regularly they will all tell you that in a race they can be decisive. This has been proved for the past four years in the Beaumont Trophy where the decisive breaks have been made each time.
    In consultation with BC the Nationals Course for both the Mens and womens event has been designed to make both events open and not a foregone conclusion. Hopefull this will be the case and give riders like Cav and Millar a chance.
    I note the comment by one poster that the Ryals are easy in the Sportive. For a top level, fit club rider they may not be too bad even after 80mls but to most people doing the ride they are a killer :shock: This is evident from the comments on other forums and the comments I receive. I want to give people an experience they can enjoy and not put them off for ever. It's all about having a great day out with other like minded cyclists :D
    Peter
    Organiser
  • Lets just hope they fill in the pot holes up that way. Roads have been in a state since last year, god knows what they're like after this winter.

And the Ryals aren't that hard. Could have really made the route selective up that way if they'd wanted but they probably don't want the race to be over out of the neutral like it was last year.

I had discussions with Northumberland CC at the official Press launch for the event yesterday. I was assured that the roads for the Nationals will be pothole free and resurfaced where necessary.

I had discussions with Northumberland CC at the official Press launch for the event yesterday. I was assured that the roads for the Nationals will be pothole free and resurfaced where necessary.

That is good to hear. I was involved in the Cheviot Easter 4 day last year, and the roads were in a state then (as you'll know resulting in a rider coming down and ending up in a coma and the subsequent cancellation of the event).

I wasn't having a go at the course by the way peter! The riders will make it hard enough, I'm just glad the race will be more open than last years, where the selection was made immediately. I know Newton was sat at home with his feet up before the race had even finished last year! :lol:
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • I think that both the mens and womens will be very open this year.

The women only climb the Ryals once so don't think the decisive break will happen then as there will still be four laps to go of the smaller circuit but it could shed some of the weaker riders. If it's a westerly wind then the drag up to the top of the Quarry from West Belsay can be very tough especially at racing speed. Even if one or more riders do manage to get away then there is still 7mls to the finish and with a tailwind in the downhill sections they're going to have to be very strong riders. This applies in both races. That's how Rob Hayles won three years ago -sheer strength and his pursuiting skills.

The mens race will be a different kettle of fish :) The riders will climb the Ryals 3 times before going onto the smaller circuit for a further four laps. I can see some of the climbers trying to break it up in the first part of the race but there will still be 60mls to go after the last time up the Ryals. This will then open it up to the likes of Cav, Millar, Hunt and all the big "engines". It will certainly be an interesting race :D I won't be putting money on anyone until the last lap and even then things could be in doubt. Even in local races of a much shorter distance I've seen guys in the break shelled out on the last lap and loose anywhere up to 10mins :cry:

We'll just need to wait and see if "team" tactics come into play :twisted:
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483
    Maybe we could have a 'stadium' finish in st james park a la paris roubaix in the near future?
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Look I know pop all about the course BUT

It has to be more challenging than next years Olympic course. :lol:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    What are the general stats for this Ryal? Length, gradient that sort of thing.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • From the X roads at the bottom to the top of the hill is 1.3mls. The climb goes up in 3 stages with the middle section being the steepest. It is about 35% for only about 80m but it feels like 80mls. Overall the gradient is about 15% for the whole climb but it is the straight nature of it and the fact that you can see it all from the bottom that can mentally unhinge you :D Once over the top it is a fast slightly downhill section for about 3 mls and in a race this can be a killer. Rob Hayles has been clocked at 50ml per hou :roll: r down this section
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    From the X roads at the bottom to the top of the hill is 1.3mls. The climb goes up in 3 stages with the middle section being the steepest. It is about 35% for only about 80m but it feels like 80mls. Overall the gradient is about 15% for the whole climb but it is the straight nature of it and the fact that you can see it all from the bottom that can mentally unhinge you :D Once over the top it is a fast slightly downhill section for about 3 mls and in a race this can be a killer. Rob Hayles has been clocked at 50ml per hou :roll: r down this section

Sounds pretty tough to me. 3 times should sort them out into Sky and the rest. :wink:
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Think Cav, Millar, Hunt, Blythe plus a couple of others will be able to hang in with the Sky boys. Depends how many of Sky ride. If it comes down to a tailwind sprint and cav is still in the mix after Matfen the last time I know who my money is on :wink: