how do I organise a transfer from a French airport?

alanswann
alanswann Posts: 5
edited January 2011 in Tour & expedition
Am planning a tour this summer in the Cevennes, or along the Tarn. We are also short of time so don't want to spend good cycling time on trains or bike express. We can get a flight to Bordeaux , Montpellier, or Nimes from the North of England. But - we don't want the hassle of cycling out of a busy city to get to the quiet countryside.

has anyone any suggestions how we can get a transfer from these airports with 2 bikes to a good starting off point?

Thanks

Comments

• Garrigou
    Garrigou Posts: 145
    Try a website called angloinfo.com (a kind of online expat community thing). Pick the regional subsidiary for the airport/location you want picking up from & try posting on the forum to see if you can get a 'man with a van' to help or a recommendation for a local taxi firm who have people carriers / minibuses that would accommodate you + the bikes.
    Or get a mate who speaks some French to ring the airport info desk and ask about the availability of larger taxis.
    Between me & Eddy Merckx we've won pretty much everything worth winning on a bike.
  • Linds
    Linds Posts: 20
    I thought all budget airlines destination airports were out of the cities anyway, so you've already got a head start
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Linds wrote:
    I thought all budget airlines destination airports were out of the cities anyway, so you've already got a head start

correct. Nimes airport is out in the country and the ride from there to the Cevennes could be done on small rural roads. I was there last year on the bike and it is surpisingly flat (until you get to the Cevennes, of course!) Montpellier airport is at the coast and the ride from there would be less interesting to start with IMO.

I have managed to get four bikes still in their flight bags into a people carrier taxi in Spain (Bilbao). Only one of us was able to ride with them to the hostel, the rest got the airport bus.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Further to the last, Nimes airport to Gemenac, Aubord and Langlade by tiny roads puts you on a disused railway cycle path (very smooth) to Sommieres, which is a very attractive fortified town. From there the ride to the Cevennes is delightful.

From Montpellier, ride towards Lunel and turn North and you can reach Sommieres by another very attractive route.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Thanks! I really appreciate your help and suggestions

BW

Alan