Why wasn't Geox picked for TDF?

donrhummy
donrhummy Posts: 2,329
edited January 2011 in Pro race
Anyone know why Geox wasn't selected for the TDF? It has two leaders, one of whom made the podium last year AND has won the Giro and Vuelta, as well as a former TDF winner. And neither one has ever had a doping suspension/charge.

Teams that DID make it:

Astana (headed by Vino!)
Vacansoleil-DCM - who do they have that's better than Menchov + Sastre?!
Katusha - DiLuca is on this team

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    To be honest Geox have been a shambles. No World Tour License, then the 'will the sponsor pull out/won't they' stuff then the power struggle with Gianetti. No team kit yet.

Stinks of poor organisation to me. Plus Menchov is pretty boring and Sastre, as much as i thing he's awesome, is looking well past his best.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    To be honest Geox have been a shambles. No World Tour License, then the 'will the sponsor pull out/won't they' stuff then the power struggle with Gianetti. No team kit yet.

Stinks of poor organisation to me. Plus Menchov is pretty boring and Sastre, as much as i thing he's awesome, is looking well past his best.

+1

Sure they'll make a decent bid at the Giro and Vuelta though.
  • Ive always liked Menchov (It's important to remember that nobody could be as boring as schleck!) and Sastre. Plus, i think fuji make by the far the best looking bike in the peloton this year ( still dont know why think that lol) .

It is a bit ridiculous that only one of the riders of last years podium will be in the tour this year.

Saying that, it's true. Geox have been a shambles....

More deserving of a place than some of the wildcards though.
  • Garry H

It is a bit ridiculous that only one of the riders of last years podium will be in the tour this year.

Not really. Feel a bit sorry for Menchov, but the other one's a cheating little sh*te and deserves not to be in.
  • ,but the other one's a cheating little sh*te and deserves not to be in.

Oh of course, the blame is on contador alone, im just saying its not a great image of the sport.
  • Garry H
    ,but the other one's a cheating little sh*te and deserves not to be in.

Oh of course, the blame is on contador alone, im just saying its not a great image of the sport.

Yes, it is.
  • How so? I think we are trying to say the same thing in different ways here....
  • Garry H
    How so? I think we are trying to say the same thing in different ways here....

He has to bear the brunt of responsibility for his own actions. He's not some water carrier trying to scrape enough money to make a living from the sport. He's, arguably, the sport's second biggest star and a multi-millionaire.

EDIT: I see I may have misunderstood your quote. My cynicism lead me to think you were being sarcastic :) We were saying the same thing.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Menchov will get rinsed at both the Vuelta and Giro if he rides them.

He's a TTer first, a climber 2nd.

The Tour was the only race that remotely suited him, and even then...
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Bland bikes = Trek
    Bland Jersey
    Bland of Brother`s = Schlecks (wait for me andy am your big bro, you cant make decisions on your own)

= Bland Tour De France
  • donrhummy
    JonGinge wrote:

That doesn't explain Astana over Geox.
  • donrhummy

:roll:
    Yes, that's why he never won the Giro which is known as a climber's tour...wait...uh he did win the Giro. (And he won a mountain stage in that Giro too)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    No spot at Tirreno - Adriatico for GEOX either.

2011's Unibet?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    Is the Tirreno-Adriatico field an accurate reflection of who gets invited to the Giro? If so, then Geox must be concerned.

The sponsor must be fuming. That said, if they'd stuck with Saronni they'd have an invite to both the Giro and the Tour now.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    donrhummy wrote:

:roll:
    Yes, that's why he never won the Giro which is known as a climber's tour...wait...uh he did win the Giro. (And he won a mountain stage in that Giro too)

Was that Giro the same Giro with the 60km TT?

Against opposition who would look more comfortable sitting on a very big sharp spike then they do on a TT bike?
  • iainf72 wrote:
    No spot at Tirreno - Adriatico for GEOX either.

2011's Unibet?

Why not?
    We now are back to exactly the same situation we saw in 2007.
    Exit the PT, enter the WT with the closed shop re-established.

The standard 20 teams: 18 enforced, the 2010 winner's team plus ONE wildcard.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • stanislav
    stanislav Posts: 1,151
    no spot for androni at adriatico too, bit surprising.
    PTP winner 2015.
  • thomasmc
    thomasmc Posts: 814
    At least they have a wild card spot in MSR
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    thomasmc wrote:
    At least they have a wild card spot in MSR

Yes, Sastre will fancy his chances against Cav and Friere in that one.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Seems Geox may have fallen foul of the old bureaucratic error, a la FDJ:
    http://www.cyclismag.com/article.php?sid=6336#ancre2
    Did someone forget Carlos's points?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.