XC overkill ??

starkee
starkee Posts: 143
edited January 2011 in MTB general
My hardtail is out of use at the moment while i wait for parts/ time to assemble. :cry:

I would still like to get out for my regular XC rides with my mates, would i be ok to stick my XC tyres on my AM full suss so i can continue 'enjoying' the great outdoors.....?.... or is there more to it ?? ( other than looking a bit of a numpty riding trails on an AM bike ? OVERKILL ??!!) :oops:

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    what are you claasing as an AM bike? i ride a 140mm full susser everywhere, i suppose you could call that a AM bike?
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    welshkev wrote:
    what are you claasing as an AM bike? i ride a 140mm full susser everywhere, i suppose you could call that a AM bike?

Ditto. I call it comfort :wink::lol:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    i wouldn't even bother changing the tyres.

just ride it.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    miss notax wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

I call it a waste of energy! I have knees.
  • welshkev
    miss notax wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

I call it a waste of energy! I have knees.

but i'm lazy and want to sit down for all the bumps :wink::lol:
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I ride with people who ride xc faster on 160mm AM than most riders would on carbon 100mm xc hardtails.
    It's all the same, if your having fun it doesn't matter what bike you are on.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    i'm on a 160 monster and could do cwm in about an hour all last year. :s who cares AM bikes are fun comfortable and allow you to be a complete tit on the downs :)
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    My freeride bike is well more fun on the downs, but it punishes me on the ups. Saying that when I do get back on the xc bike I can fly uphill!
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I find you have to work harder to have fun, but that in itself pushes you to do more extreme things in the first place.
  • starkee wrote:
    My hardtail is out of use at the moment while i wait for parts/ time to assemble. :cry:

I would still like to get out for my regular XC rides with my mates, would i be ok to stick my XC tyres on my AM full suss so i can continue 'enjoying' the great outdoors.....?.... or is there more to it ?? ( other than looking a bit of a numpty riding trails on an AM bike ? OVERKILL ??!!) :oops:

Just ride the bike as is. Who cares what the "type of riding" a bike is, or isn't, built for? Definitely not me. I just ride my one bike everywhere.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Unless you have just a 40lb+ DH rig. Might think twice then.
  • Unless you have just a 40lb+ DH rig. Might think twice then.

Nah, i'd just be a man. I went from an 11kg hardtail to this 16kg 160mm full susser and still do XC on it. Don't think the extra bits would kill me haha
  • bennett_346
    Unless you have just a 40lb+ DH rig. Might think twice then.

Nah, i'd just be a man.
    Not a very clever one :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    At the risk of sounding stupid, isn't the point of a All Mountain bike that it can do everything, as in from XC to downhill?

XC on a pure Downhill bike would be a bit tricky, as would Downhill on a XC machine, but a AM bike is designed to do both surely?
  • bennett_346
    RichardSwt wrote:
    At the risk of sounding stupid, isn't the point of a All Mountain bike that it can do everything, as in from XC to downhill?

XC on a pure Downhill bike would be a bit tricky, as would Downhill on a XC machine, but a AM bike is designed to do both surely?
    Indeed.

Just ride it :)
  • RichardSwt wrote:

My thoughts exactly.......from wikipedia.
    Enduro/all-mountain (AM) bikes bridge the gap between cross-country and freeride bikes, such as the Trek Remedy series, Specialized enduro, typically weighing between 13 to 16 kilograms (29 to 35 lb). These bikes tend to feature greater suspension travel, frequently as much as 6 inches (150 mm) or 7" of front and rear travel, often adjustable on newer mid- and high-end bikes. They are designed to be able to climb and descend well, these bikes are intended to be ridden on all-day rides involving steep climbs and steep descents, hence the term 'all-mountain'.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_bike
  • I have a 6" travel Spesh Enduro and it flies up the climbs, and is a monster on DH, I couldnt ask for more!
  • welshkev
    RichardSwt wrote:

yep, i thought that's why they were called ALL mountain :D
  • starkee
    welshkev wrote:
    RichardSwt wrote:

I am actually going to be riding it in and about ESSEX.... not known for its mountains :lol:

I suppose it was a stoopid question to ask :oops: was just after opinions.... and boy did i get some !! LOL

If i enjoy it that much, will i ever ride the hardtail again ?? :?
  • bennett_346
    starkee wrote:
    welshkev wrote:
    RichardSwt wrote:

I am actually going to be riding it in and about ESSEX.... not known for its mountains :lol:

I suppose it was a stoopid question to ask :oops: was just after opinions.... and boy did i get some !! LOL

You almost certainly will come back to it now and again, i miss the rush of a hardtail sometimes.
  • starkee wrote:

That all depends on whether you like to challenge yourself, or let the bike do the work for you. If you like to scare yourself every time you go out for a ride, you will find yourself riding the HT a lot more. Some people see this as a bad thing (a bike that makes you work hard downhill), personally, I like the challenge, it makes me a better rider. Both views have their merits
    I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

The Mighty Dyna-Sore - The 90's?
  • starkee wrote:

Maybe ride it to the tip and leave it there with the other junk
  • welshkev
    i have a HT and a full suss. i only ever really ride the full suss and basically use the HT as a commuter :D
  • jimexbox
    jimexbox Posts: 200

Anyone who wants to junk their HT, I'll have it. :D
  • starkee
    jimexbox wrote:

Not me !

I still have my M-TRAX 1000 that i bought nearly 18 years ago in the shed... still i will eventually have to decide what to do with it, before i get asked why i need 3 bikes ?? :wink:
  • Jack 123
    Jack 123 Posts: 118
    I am faster on my fs AM bike unless I am on the road.
  • jimexbox wrote:

Thinking the exact same thing
    I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

The Mighty Dyna-Sore - The 90's?
  • Can't stand to waste energy on my Zesty,that's why it's now on the market.
    If you do XC you have to do it with a propert bike. If my proper XC ride breaks down I'd rather move over to jogging than being bothered with that stupid 140mm monster....
    Oh wait,I have another kick ass fast as hell HT that has me covered.... 8)
    Specialized Tarmac Sworks
    Canyon Spectral 8.9
  • Can't stand to waste energy on my Zesty,that's why it's now on the market.
    If you do XC you have to do it with a propert bike. If my proper XC ride breaks down I'd rather move over to jogging than being bothered with that stupid 140mm monster....
    Oh wait,I have another kick ass fast as hell HT that has me covered.... 8)

I wish I had the money to say this! In the meantime, you'll be ok on your AM bike. After all, my bike is broke so you're in a better position than me, eh?