TdF wildcards

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited January 2011 in Pro race
Europcar
FDJ
Cofidis
Saur-Sojasun

No GEOX. They also didn't get a ParisNice invite.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    How come it all went so wrong for poor Mauro Gianetti?
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    That's a real shame, 3rd (possibly 2nd) from last years Tour and no invite :( Maybe it's teaching them a lesson for 2010's one of the worst kit's of all time!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    Sonny73 wrote:
    That's a real shame, 3rd (possibly 2nd) from last years Tour and no invite :(

Shouldn't have left Rabo to go to a shady team.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Sonny73 wrote:

Did you type that with a straight face?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • rick_chasey
    DaveyL wrote:
    Sonny73 wrote:

Did you type that with a straight face?

Yeah.

Rabo get tour invites. Geox was always going to be tricky.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I've got that Ultravox song "Vienna" in my head for some reason.

Is Gianetti the problem? As far as I could see, they really transformed the team last year and had a lot of young, promising riders at the Tour - like Capecchi and Valls Ferri. If they kept them and included some older heads with past Tour success under their belt, they would have quite a nice team.

Edit: If Gianetti really is the problem, why is he so much worse than certain other Directeurs Sportif?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Cyclingnews says its Bretagne Schuller for the tour rather than Saur-Sosajun?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de ... s-22-teams

The tour going through Brittany must have helped their cause

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bretagn ... -de-france
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    You got the impression this would happen. ASO looking after their own - fair game. Geox appears to have been a bit shambolic so far.

Surely CN have got it wrong with Bretagne Schuller. I thought the idea was to give Saur a go because Coppel is meant to be the best French prospect for the GC??
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    But then l'equipe is reporting its Saur to the tour

http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/breves20 ... a-fdj.html

I think i know which i would believe.

EDIT: Cyclingnews has been updated now :wink:
  • Exactly what you would expect the French to do. Let's be honest. Given their bugets and ethos, not being PT teams suits their needs. The ASO look after their own and who can blame them?
    Unfortunately, it means the Tour will replace Menchov and Sastre with Jerry Coppel.
    Hopefully, Geox won't do a bunk and both will now double up at the Giro and Vuelta. (wildcards willing)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Hardly a surprise on the wildcards, and when you look down the rest of the list, each team is a given to be in the tour. Shame for Geox, but you know the Giro and Vuelta will def take them and maybe the old boys could pull out a win between them.

So glad to Vaconsoleil in there this year.
  • rick_chasey
    Moomaloid wrote:
    Hardly a surprise on the wildcards, and when you look down the rest of the list, each team is a given to be in the tour. Shame for Geox, but you know the Giro and Vuelta will def take them and maybe the old boys could pull out a win between them.

So glad to Vaconsoleil in there this year.

Eeey!