Fitting SKS mudguards - too much clearance?

blacknosugar
blacknosugar Posts: 36
edited February 2011 in The workshop
Hi

I'm struggling a bit with my new SKS Bluemels (it's a bit like assembling Ikea furniture).
I've got the back one on and it will fit fairly snugly when I'm done with it but the front one is hanging way up in the air.

The bike is a 700c v-braked hybrid so I guess there is more clearance between the top of the tyre and the fork than a normal road bike.

There is currently 1 1/4 inches clearance with the guard at the lowest setting. The stays I can cut down, the bracket is the problem. Any ideas how I can get around this?

Thanks if you can help!
"Always carry a firearm East of Aldgate, Watson."

Comments

• crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    You'll have to fashion an extension strap of some sort. Choose the metal strip of your choice and drill holes in each end and bolt the mudguard mount to one end. I don't know why the mfrs. don't include something like this with the kit or at least offer it as an option as many bikes with non-caliper braked forks have this same problem.
  • kr1s
    kr1s Posts: 125
    my sks front gaurd wouldnt even fit my tricross - I had to cable tie it on - not ideal :shock:
    Trek Madone 5.2 08
    Specialized Tricross
    Scott Scale
    Twitter @ChrisBedford1
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    kr1s wrote:
    my sks front gaurd wouldnt even fit my tricross - I had to cable tie it on - not ideal :shock:

My SKS Chromoplasic fits my Tricross perfectly.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Never had a problem fitting SKS mudguards on any bike. As suggested it seems like you'll have to create a small metal extension piece to enable the front mudguard to sit lower beneath the fork crown.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    To fit raceguards to my Tricross I made brackets out of I/O blanking plates, you need double thickness on the front though.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • pdw
    pdw Posts: 315
    I had the same problem on my bike. Had to make some extensions made out of 3mm plastic:

rear-mudguard.jpg

front-mudguard.jpg
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    and this is what you don't want to see with a set of SKS mudguards

35kqr0w.jpg

...sorry still bitter and twisted
  • pdw
    How did that happen?
  • pdw
    How did that happen?
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    pdw wrote:
    How did that happen?

No idea, I was riding along and the stay bracket simply sheared, as you can see. Probably seen no more than 9 - 10 months usage, which equates to about 8-9000 miles. Was hoping for a bit longer than that out of the set.