Comments

• vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    200km 27 Mar Long Ashton "Barry's Bristol Ball Buster"

08:00 Sun BRM [PBP] 210km 1500m £6 F, L, P, R, T, NM 15-30kph
    Las Vegas Inst of Sport audax@lvis.org.uk
    Marcus Mumford, 4 East Parade Bristol BS9 2JW
    tinyurl.com/lvis-audax
    A challenging event that takes riders on an orbital route around Bristol before heading south to the Mendips and Somerset levels with legendary catering

It's on my list as a backup if the 200km PBP qualifier nearer to me ( "Mad March" from Exeter) doesn't work out.
  • MAy be tempted to do it on the ss fixie
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    Im really interested in doing an audax event but I have no mates who will join me and have no idea whats involved. There is one in Saffron Walden in March I am semi aiming at, is it as simple as paying your money and turning up on the day? Am I expected to ride in a group or go it alone? Also I only have my trusty kona jake with paniers, guards and 23mm tires, is this going to be ok to ride on one of these events? I average about 16-17mph over longer rides in the very flat area of essex I live in.

Im really keen to do something more than my daily commute and occasional longer ride and this really appeals to me.

Cheers

W
  • dugga
    dugga Posts: 33
    Aye, me and a mate have signed up for Barry's Bristol Ball Buster, did the Barry's Bristol Bash last year. The climb into Dundry was tight.

Cakes at the first cake stop were v delicious and highly recommended, from the local WI. They knows their cakes.

Welkman, it really is as simple as paying your money and turning up. It's an audax so it's not a race. There's a minimum and maximum speed, you get a card that you complete at various checkpoints (either manned where someone stamps your card or unmanned where there'll be a detailed question about a landmark on the ride). You're expected to navigate the route yourself - unusual for an audax to have signs. So print out a copy of the route map and tuck it into the leg of your bibs. Feed stops may be provided during the audax but at the very least there'll be someone with cakey goodness and teas at the finish.

People enter on all sorts - many people on last years lvis were on flat barred hybrids, a few cyclocrossers, MTBs etc. So you'll be grand on your Jake.

As far as riding solo or in groups goes, that's up to you. Long rides like an audax tend to see people doing a bit of both, little or large informal groups get thrown together and then a road feature - hill, crossing, whatever - will see things stretched out again.

Give it a go.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Tempted myself but don't want to be held back by GTV :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Whoops, 27th MArch, wifey's B'day. :oops:
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • Linds
    Linds Posts: 20
    This was my first ever Audax last year and this years will be my....third. Not exactly setting the Audax world alight here.

Really enjoyed this Audax so will be Bashing again and looking forward to the cakes, although my partner in bonk will be living the life of the Raj in India so I'll be solo too. No biggie as there was always plenty of chat at last years Bash.

Oh and last year I bonked and blew up big time about 3/4 of the way round - which meant that Dundry was even more fun than it should have been
  • vorsprung
    welkman wrote:
    Im really interested in doing an audax event but I have .. no idea whats involved.

See Audax A-Z
  • mmuk
    mmuk Posts: 398
    welkman wrote:
    Im really interested in doing an audax event but I have no mates who will join me and have no idea whats involved. There is one in Saffron Walden in March I am semi aiming at, is it as simple as paying your money and turning up on the day? Am I expected to ride in a group or go it alone? Also I only have my trusty kona jake with paniers, guards and 23mm tires, is this going to be ok to ride on one of these events? I average about 16-17mph over longer rides in the very flat area of essex I live in.

Im really keen to do something more than my daily commute and occasional longer ride and this really appeals to me.

Cheers

W

in broad terms - yes!

pay your money. Turn up. You can ride anything you want. Stay with a group, or do it all solo - the choice is yours (and they are great fun!)

MM
  • Is this a once a year event as it's a shame I'll miss it.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    LVIS also do some other races throughout the season, I will post as appropriate.

However, this one is very well run and very well catered for. There is no pressure, no worries - a great season opener where you can relax and just enjoy the sun (hopefully) and the cake (not to mention cycling in some of the most beautiful countryside in the UK).
  • Just entered the bash and it will be my first audax too.
    Given that I can't find my way out of a paper bag what do people generally do with the directions. I was thinking of getting some laminated and then sticking them on the handlebars some how.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Personally - I am gonna map it on my iPhone GPS. But will carry the good ol' paper map in my pocket, just in case!

Or stick with a good group of riders, who have an idea of the route! Most notably those in purple and gold jerseys should have a vague idea!
  • t0ph0id
    t0ph0id Posts: 191
    Thinking about doing this now, is there a course mapped anywhere that I could put on my Garmin?
  • gareth1234
    gareth1234 Posts: 107
    all signed up.

Anyone from the Cardiff area need a lift over the water for the the baby ride at 9.30am? :)

:idea: Got the PDF mate if you want to work it out on a map
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    t0ph0id wrote:
    Thinking about doing this now, is there a course mapped anywhere that I could put on my Garmin?

From the other thread on this ride

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/322008
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • vorsprung
    So how did it go?

Good job I didn't enter, I've been busy with family stuff this weekend
  • Linds
    Linds Posts: 20
    Brilliant ride.

Weather was good (bit chilly to start but warmed up nicely) and legs felt really strong until the climb out of Keynsham (90km ish) and it was all hardwork from there on.

Having said that I flew up Hillersley and actually passed a few people - which has never happened before, and probably never will again - so I'm happy as Larry today.

The overall time wasn't anything to special at 5:42, although it did include a,lunch stop at a friends in Bitton.

The route seemed to have been tweaked from last years and I found it a lot better.
  • Did this one Sunday : absolute cracker. Best organised and best run event I've done.

There were 8 of us from Chippenham Wheelers and we had a smashing day. Did the 210 km route and we took it fairly quietly as it was the longest single ride I've completed. We averaged just over 16 mph rolling time intermittently sprinkled with lots of cake.

I would recommend this to anyone.
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    210Km???? Sweet Mercy.

the MOST I have ever done is 100K and that was an easy one. (admittedly solo)

210? :shock:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter