Bontrager RL - MTB shoes

hfidgen
hfidgen Posts: 340
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
I know this is the commuting forum, but I'm considering getting these shoes as they're on a very decent offer at Evans.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bon ... e-ec022381

I like the idea of being able to walk in them, and I also like the crossover given they're good and stiff and a snug fit.

Anyone got a pair or an opinion on alternatives?
FCN 4 - BMC CX02

Comments

• andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    Fantastic shoes, VERY comfy and served me really well through nearly two years of commuting

not suing at the minute as got some shimano winter boots, im tempted to get another pair at that price to be honest to replace mine

have rode over 10,000 miles in mine and used them walking around loads when doing shopping etc
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    hfidgen wrote:
    I know this is the commuting forum, but I'm considering getting these shoes as they're on a very decent offer at Evans.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bon ... e-ec022381

I like the idea of being able to walk in them, and I also like the crossover given they're good and stiff and a snug fit.

Anyone got a pair or an opinion on alternatives?

I commute in those shoes so should be okay in the commuting forum :) . They're okay for walking but the plastic is hard so not particularly grippy on the road or wet (I've come close to crushing things after slipping with my more energetic push-offs.)

The material on top is thin and fairly breathable. Might be an issue for some in winter but my feet don't get cold when I'm being energetic.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    I use those, bought for £75 from the Evans shop in Brighton. Can't fault them but can't really comment otherwise because they're my first cycling shoe. I had to walk 3 miles in them yesterday when I got a puncture, so they're ok for walking and my cleats are ok! :D
    FCN 2 to 8
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I commute in these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=33870

Similar sort of thing, they've been great so far - 6 months almost daily wear and still good as new.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I've got these, really like them
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... s-ec017519

First SPDs but no complaints at all. Okay to walk in too.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I've got these at Xmas. Bit pricey but very good so far. Fairly waterproof except for big hole in the top where your foot goes!

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shi ... ry=SHimano MT70

Good thing about these is cleat is 100% recessed in the Vibram sole meaning they walk just like walking boots.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • dhope wrote:

+1 These are my second pair of commuting shoes, can't fault them.
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    sweet - shall enjoy falling off the bike while strapped into them then :D
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • Mr Plum
    hfidgen wrote:
    sweet - shall enjoy falling off the bike while strapped into them then :D

You'll be amazed how quickly you get used to them. Must have taken me clipping in and out 3 times to feel 100% confidence. If you don't tighten the pedals from the factory setting then you'll be fine.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • I'm looking to get my first pair of spd shoes having borrowed a pair from a friend and liked the experience but buying online leaves me a bit worried about sizing. I read lots of accounts suggesting that you should look to buy a size up. I like the look of the Bontranger RL MTB shoes,would anyone be able to advise on what size to get? I'm a size 10 so should I go for a 10.5 or 11?
  • Mr Plum
    I'm looking to get my first pair of spd shoes having borrowed a pair from a friend and liked the experience but buying online leaves me a bit worried about sizing. I read lots of accounts suggesting that you should look to buy a size up. I like the look of the Bontranger RL MTB shoes,would anyone be able to advise on what size to get? I'm a size 10 so should I go for a 10.5 or 11?

I am generally a UK10 and I have the euro size 45 of these shoes. The 44 was too small...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • ash3112
    ash3112 Posts: 3
    I have just purchased a pair for £45 off Evans also for long distance commuting and mtb rides at the weekend. Can't wait to see how they hold up!
  • mattcroad
    mattcroad Posts: 189
    They may hold up for as long as the thread has been dead...
    There is a rule for that
    FCN 4 2009 Trek 1.5
    FCN 11 2007 Apollo XC.26s
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    got these for christmas, ones in grey with orange bits - and an almost burberry lining - pimpin!

first clipless shoes they have been faultless in my opinion

good tread to walk in, now i have a reasonable distance to walk as part of my commute
    good stiff sole for power transfer
    very comfy as a whole, though i have a habit of making them too tight..
    i do like the ratchet system
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Mine are still going, some of the velcro is going a bit weak and the plastic nobbles on the rachet system are getting a bit distorted. But still working well.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Mr Plum
    mattcroad wrote:
    They may hold up for as long as the thread has been dead...

Or longer, mine are still going after more than 10k miles 8)
    FCN 2 to 8