Stans Crest

jonnyboy66uk
jonnyboy66uk Posts: 260
edited January 2011 in MTB general
Hey all,

I have a set of stans crest rims and eventually want to go tubeless when my current set of tyres are worn out, But does anybody else find getting the tyre seated on crest rims an absolute mission... Need thumbs like the incredible hulk to get the tyre over the rim without damaging the tube! Any tips for doing it easier!

Whilst on the subject, what do i need to go tubeless...

:)

Comments

• scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    Have a look on the stans website, they will tell you all you need to know about going tubeless on your rims. generally all you will need is some yellow rim strip, a couple of valves, some sealant and lots of patience.

There is a trick to getting the tyres on the rims. Along the inside of the rims there is a well that the spoke holes sit in. When you put the tyres on you need to make sure the tyre bead is sitting in that well all the way round to get the tyre on.

Hang the rim on a workstand or off something handy to make it easier to fit the tyre.

Once you have fitted the rimstrip, put the tyre back on and put a tube in and inflate. Leave it with a tube in for as long as you can. This will help sit and seal the yellow rim tape.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    If you're using thicker rim tape it makes it nigh on impossible- I've got a set waiting for the nicer weather to renovate the bike. I can get a tyre on the one without tape easily, but the hope supplied cloth rim tape means it's damn difficult with my loosest tyres.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • Im using teh cloth velux tape that come with the rims, Im guessing this is not the best stuff to be using... So i need to get some thinner rim tape.. worth a shout as im dreading a puncture in the dark!!!
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    You dont need to use anything but the stans yellow tape to go tubeless on stans rims, the velux cloth tape wont work.

Follow the instructions on how to put the tape on and it is thin enough that it wont hamper the gap in the well to put the tyres on.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    As I understand it stans do a nice thin rim tape if you want to run tubes- it may well be the same yellow tape you use for tubeless. Finding out has been on my 'to do' list
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    If you don't have the yellow tape, good quality electric tape is fine too.
    Uncompromising extremist