Gisburn conditions

Andywilliams89
Andywilliams89 Posts: 22
edited February 2011 in Routes
Planning a trip to Gisburn tomorrow, anyone know what it's like there at the mo? It seems to have got a lot colder over the course of the week so I'm hoping it hasn't frozen? Cheers
Boardman HT Pro

Comments

• Mr OCD
    Mr OCD Posts: 382
    Would like to know as well as I'm off over there tommorrow ... 8)
    2009 Carrera Fury
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Based on the amount of water flowing last weekend and the conditions here today I would imagine it has frozen in places. Should be good riding though as long as you take care on the rocky sections.

Don't miss the new section (due to officially open next month), turn left at the gravel pile on the fireroad after the singletrack after the causeway. Cuts out about a mile of bumpy fireroad. Should be signed up properly in the next month.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Did it today instead of coed y brenin (last minute change of plans).

It was great, tiny bit of ice but nothing to worry about.

First time for me and definately won't be the last, me and my mate both loved it. Did everything bar bigfoot, do that next time :D

Congrats to the trailbuilders there, it is a fantastic trail !!!!

I was feeling a bit of a plonka couple of miles in, as I was trying out the body armour and full face for the first time...... Bit later on the open / trees cut down section with the big boulders/rock garden, I didn't feel so silly getting up unhurt after a brief superman attempt :shock:
  • Bit off topic, but the worst thing about Gisburn at the moment is the car parking. Got there at 9.40 Sunday morning (23rd) to find the car park around 60% fulll. After a puff and a pant around the woods I got back to the car park at about 11.20 to find it overflowing and cars circulating and waiting for folk to leave.

I fear Gisburn could become a victim of its own success. I did enjoy the new section of singletrack cutting out the fire road after the reservoir road crossing.
  • stumpyjon
    edited January 2011
    Never fear there are plans in place. They're designing a much bigger car park further in which may link to a cafe on site. Toilets are included in this plan as is an additional skills area linking to the existing trails. The downside is once all this is in there will be parking charges (to be diverted back into trail maintenance and building).

We just missed out on a large chunck of money to do a lot of this in 2010 but people are really getting on board from the wider FC and other bodies due to the succes of Gisburn so hopefully we'll see some of it being developed in 2011.

• Mr OCD
    Off over Sat... looking forward to it! :lol:
    2009 Carrera Fury
  • Parking charges are not a downside, in fact if there is an option to pay for a full day rather than four hours I wil,l as I know it goes back into the trails.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • stumpyjon
    There'll also hopefully be the opiton of a free annual pass if you attend a certain number of trail building dig days (if not I'm taking my spade home :lol: ).

• Bump,

Whats it like this week? I'm thinking of a "site survey" on wednesday in that area.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Mr OCD
    Bump,

Whats it like this week? I'm thinking of a "site survey" on wednesday in that area.

It's fine... Ground is hard but it's good fun :0)
    2009 Carrera Fury
  • I expect the ground to be hard, its all good as long as I'm not making a mess of the trails if they're 8" deep in slop.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • stumpyjon
    No, none of the trails at Gisburn are that bad. pretty much all the trails are armoured although some like Hully Gully have a layer of mud on top.

Was very frozen on Sunday, still below freezing today although due to warm up (hopefully that means our gravel pile will defrost and we can finish the trail we've been working on).

• Sweet... *plots*
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • auq
    auq Posts: 14
    will hopefully be riding this weekend there. Absolute props to the trailbuilders who have put so much effort into this, well done lads.
    ps, where you from stumpyjon?
  • stumpyjon
    I live down in Rossendale, not far from Lee Quarry, great mountain biking territory.

Got some new exciting stuff planned at Gisburn to, will take a year or so to build but should be excellent when complete. In the meantime it's been confirmed that we've not built 2.2 km of trail by hand.

• pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    I was up there on Sunday and the conditions were excellent.

I must take my hat off to the trail builders and "repairers", at the back end of last summer many parts of the trail had become a complete quagmire, 90% of these have now been repaired into a good, rideable surface, stirling work!

It`s good to see that the trail is continuing to evolve and that it has not just been constructed and then forgotten about like so many other trail centres.

Cheers :D
  • stumpyjon
    Martin's planning further repairs in the spring as well on the upper loop on the long climb up to the crag, hopefully returning one of the bermy sections to it's former glory.. In the meantime the volunteers are continuing to look after our section trail. We're taking the actual construction more seriously, we're already had a couple of session modifying the latest stretch and it's not even open yet.

Just hope the forestry sell off doesn't cock it all up.

• Wouldn't Gisburn be a little safer with it being United Utilities land?..i know the FC lease it though.
    Caz xx
  • auq
    auq Posts: 14
    I really hope that this sell off doesnt go through, seriously its taken ages to get such a wicked trail set up so close to me (Nelson, Nr Burnley). If ever I come into a lot of money, I'd invest in a bike park /skills /jump area at Gisburn. somewhere to take the kids and maybe have some sort of bike skills instruction for the young and old. Dreams I know. Hope its not freezing this weekend as I plan to go this weekend.
  • stumpyjon
    auq

Your dreams are shared, there's a bit of a freeride line being put in at the moment, not sure on progress as I haven't been directly involved recently. There are also plans in the pipeline for a skills area although funding is still and issue.

You can also get skills training in the forest, Anthony O'Connor runs courses, trailmotions.co.uk (Ant is also a regular trail builder as well) or of course Ed Oxley (Ed's been involved with the freeride section).

Caz, not sure whether the UU connection will make alot of difference, hopefully the whole stupid policy will get canned.

• Rode it yesterday in the rain and blowing wind and you're right, the trail is built so well that even in those conditions it was dry and fast (except the odd clay puddle).

Dunno if anyone here was about but I met a retired guy on a blue One One and rode past a chap fixing a puncture on what looked like a red and white spesh.
    Advocate of disc brakes.