Quantocks Combes & Pubs

flatpat
flatpat Posts: 78
edited January 2011 in Routes
Off to the Quantocks soon & I remember Smith's Combe and Weacombe. But I can't remember anything else!

There was a steep-sided gulley through a forested area where you had to ride high up the side - ring any bells? And some singletrack possibly near the hill fort?

Can you recommend anything else? Is the pub in Triscombe any good for lunch?

Cheers

Comments

• The Blue Ball pub comes highly reccomended ! - try the crusty warm bagguettes with brie and cranberry - girt lush ! the steep sided gulley (if its the one i think it is) can be found by leaving the pub, going up the hill, over the cattle grid and once you get to the sharp right on tarmac, go straight onto the fire road in front of you, carry on and there is an obvious left turn off the trail 1/4 mile down it. follow this to a steep off set cross roads trail and you will see the entrance in front of you (beware the fallen tree halfway down) - did it in the dark last week - great fun :)
    have a chat to the uplift guys if you see them, - around the triscombe area - they are prob the most up to date on the good stuff.
    hodders and holford coombe are also worth a blast down, although i think hodders is the easier to come back up !
    Hope this helps :)
    Falcon Sierra - 80's
    Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
    GT Palomar 90's
    GT Zaskar LE - 90's
    Cannondale k v 900 90's
    Santa Cruz Bullit - now
    Orange Evo 8 STOLEN 26/09/10
    Orange P7 Pro
    Lots of kites.
  • flatpat
    flatpat Posts: 78
    Cheers Jonny - that certainly helps.

I found that gulley hard enough in daylight - respect!

Think then we'll try Smiths & Weacombe before lunch at the Blue Bull, then try some combination of the gulley & the "H" combes after. Or as much as our Bristol flatlands climbing legs/pudding options allow.