Clicking Front Wheel

rhys.white
rhys.white Posts: 8
edited January 2011 in Workshop
Hi

I hope somebody can advise what's wrong ... I have a clicking front wheel.

* The click appears to be coming from the hub
* It happens in the same place each wheel rotation
* Nothing seems to be rubbing or touching
* I have looked for loose spokes and there don't appear to be any

Bike is a Specialized Allez Tripple. Would realy appreciate it if somebody could advise what this could be and how to fix it.

Look foward to hearing from you all.

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Could be the vale stem clicking against the rim on each rotation? - Wrap some tape around it
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Time to service the hub?
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    hub bearings or axle?
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Computer magnet and sensor, although you say they aren't in contact it might be happening when the bike is leaning over and the spokes are under more tension. It happened to me.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    redvee wrote:
    Computer magnet and sensor, although you say they aren't in contact it might be happening when the bike is leaning over and the spokes are under more tension. It happened to me.

+1 my speedo on my tt bike makes a little chirp on each revolution. In my case it must be the microswitch making a noise..
  • I'm starting to think it's the computer magnet, there is no contact with anything but the click is as the magnet and sensor pass.

Anbody any idea why this happens, can it be stopped? It sounds like a metronome.
  • moonshine
    rhys.white wrote:
    I'm starting to think it's the computer magnet, there is no contact with anything but the click is as the magnet and sensor pass.

Anbody any idea why this happens, can it be stopped? It sounds like a metronome.

i don't think you can stop it. It happens on my old computer (a Sigma 1200BC) on my tt bike. It doesnt happen on my road bike that has a cataeye strada cadence, but that is on the back wheel, so i might not hear it)

I think the only way to stop it would be to change to a different brand of speedo. what brand are you using?
  • Sigma BC906 - was resisting BikeComputers but bought a basic wired one last weekend ... same time as the clicking started ... um.

Interested why you have it on the back wheel - does it work better for you or is that how it's designed?

Cheers!
  • moonshine
    rhys.white wrote:
    Sigma BC906 - was resisting BikeComputers but bought a basic wired one last weekend ... same time as the clicking started ... um.

Interested why you have it on the back wheel - does it work better for you or is that how it's designed?

Cheers!

Ok, so it sounds like it could be a sigma BC computer issue - to me it is no a big deal - i can hear it if i lift the front wheel & spin it when stationary, but once i am moving i can't hear it over the road & road noise. I assime it is the noise the microswitch makes everytime the magnet passes over it, counting the rpm.

The Cateye Strada Cadence (wired rather than wireless) I have on my road bike is so i can get a speed and cadence reading when the bike is on the Turbo trainer. The speed pickup is on the rear non-drive side chainstay and uses a magnet on the rear wheel to give the speed reading - the wiring loom then runs aling the chainstay to another pickup for the cadence sensor close to the BB that picks up the cadence from a magnet mounted on the inside of the chainset crank. The wiring loom is then lead up the downtube and to the bars as normal - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=28224

setting up is a bit of a fiddle - takes an hour or so to do a really neat job, but not had a moment of problems in over 3 years with it - Good enough that i bought one for my GF's bike too.

Having cadence to combine with my HRM make turbo work a bit more structured.