pulsing front light: wants one!

MattFT
MattFT Posts: 178
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
Hi guys,

On my ride home last night I saw someone with a front light that seemed to pulse rather than flash. i.e. instead of full on/full off, it seemd to have a standard brightness, then flash to maximum brightness every half a second or so. Very very noticable and solved the problem between flash getting you noticed, but steady being better for car driver distance perception. Anyone have any idea which lights have this mode?

Thanks!

Matt
FCN: 4

My Condor R.I.P.

Enigma Echo - everything outside the city
Genesis Day One Disc - commuter

Comments

• could be a dinnotte 200 - mine does that.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Lots of the Exposure lights do that. The Strada, Toro, and the Maxx certainly do.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • MattFT
    blimey, expensive gear then! You get what you pay for I guess.

My Condor R.I.P.

• Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Yeah, my exposure Strada has it. Tell me, from being on the receiving end of it, was it too distracting? I haven't used it as I don't want to cause an accident! been using the steady dipped mode in town.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    The Smart Bspoke 1W does that. Great light.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/smart-bspoke-1w ... n=products
    FCN 2 to 8
  • I always had my rears on 'chase', and then I ran behind a cyclist on on/off full blink!
    Really depends on road conditions, Urban i'd recommend chase, Back Roads is blink for the intensity.
    For the front; I use a P7 for simple brightness and have a 'back-up' for strobe effect when cruising street lit areas. On the the really dark sections of Rural roads, I can't but help turning the headlight off and cycling home by the night sky, Jupiter has been so bright recently :)
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • +1 for the Smart Bspoke.
  • fenboy369
    fenboy369 Posts: 425
    I've got an Exposure 6-pack and it has a commute setting, low power light always on and flashes at high power every three quaters of a second or so. Its awesome.
    I've also got a Smart/B-spoke 1Watt front light that has a strobe/pulse setting. Thats good.
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • MattFT
    Stuey01 wrote:
    Yeah, my exposure Strada has it. Tell me, from being on the receiving end of it, was it too distracting? I haven't used it as I don't want to cause an accident! been using the steady dipped mode in town.

Nope, not too distracting. People with a huge cree flashlight on strobe setting is distracting. The pulse just draws your eye to it.

My Condor R.I.P.

• MattFT
    Looks like a smart 1W or an exposure light cannon. Thanks all!

My Condor R.I.P.

• Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    MattFT wrote:
    Stuey01 wrote:

Nope, not too distracting. People with a huge cree flashlight on strobe setting is distracting. The pulse just draws your eye to it.

Ta.
    used it this morning and had no annoyed light flashes from cars. Will try again tonight when it's properly dark and guage the reaction to that.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • I just bought a Smart 1W B- Spoke from Wiggle for £13.25 delivered to replace a Smart Polaris. 3 modes low, high and strobe.

Tested out the strobe in a pitch black room and made me feel a bit sick. Hopefully it won't distract me or drivers - will test it out later.

Quite a bit brighter than the polaris and seems to have good spread.
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Thebigbee wrote:
    I just bought a Smart 1W B- Spoke from Wiggle for £13.25 delivered to replace a Smart Polaris. 3 modes low, high and strobe.

Tested out the strobe in a pitch black room and made me feel a bit sick. Hopefully it won't distract me or drivers - will test it out later.

Quite a bit brighter than the polaris and seems to have good spread.
    I've just ordered one of those to replace my cateye (the plastic catch holding it onto the bracket broke and it came flying off along Embankment) - they've only got 2 left so hurry if you want one
  • Mr Plum wrote:
    The Smart Bspoke 1W does that. Great light.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/smart-bspoke-1w ... n=products

Says discontinued?
  • The Exposure Flash & Flare do it - both superb, tiny, rechargable or disposable batteries, easy to fit and remove in seconds, plenty bright enough to see by and be seen. And a relative bargain at about £35 each.
    Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
    Twitter: @jimjmcdonnell