Sealskinz socks - shrunk - can they be rescued?

daveaasmith
daveaasmith Posts: 223
edited January 2011 in MTB general
Annoyingly they ended up in the tumble dryer and came out a little smaller than they went in - now looking more like a size 5.

Both the sock, and the thermal liner went the same way, with the thermal liner being almost comedy in size.

Anyway I've soaked them and stretched them but they ain't staying their original size.

Anyone any ideas or are they beyond help?

Dave.

Comments

• miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I'm afraid that I don't know how to rescue them, but just to add that I have a long history of shrinking MTBing stuff by accident - so much so that I have been accused by Notax of shrinking his stuff to fit me (!) :evil:

(Which isn't the case, just a happy benefit!)

I now always wash all MTBing stuff, whether it be man-made or merino or whatever, at 30 degrees and never tumble dry it. That way I only shrink the odd random thing now :?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • I'd say it sounds very doubtful, I learnt the hard way not to put them in a washing machine either, do it by hand just wiping the outside nowadays as the other ones lost their waterproofing properties.

I have always been careful to dry them naturally though, along with all of my other cycling gear, it's a pain isn't it?

You'll probably have to chalk this one off to experience I'm afraid.
  • do it by hand just wiping the outside nowadays as the other ones lost their waterproofing properties.

TBH think you're right there with the handwashing - may keep their waterproof-ness for longer (altho I've got the Grangers stuff for my Ronhills).
  • do it by hand just wiping the outside nowadays as the other ones lost their waterproofing properties.

TBH think you're right there with the handwashing - may keep their waterproof-ness for longer (altho I've got the Grangers stuff for my Ronhills).

That was the other thing I could've mentioned, not sure if it works on sealskinz stuff though.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Dead Dead Dead, I have spent hundreds on replacing them when the wife tumbledrys everything, needed or not, so sunday morning when you about to go on a wet epic ride, you only get your big toe in there! :evil:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I'd say it sounds very doubtful, I learnt the hard way not to put them in a washing machine either, do it by hand just wiping the outside nowadays as the other ones lost their waterproofing properties.

I have always been careful to dry them naturally though, along with all of my other cycling gear, it's a pain isn't it?

Its not the washing machine thats an issue, just wash at the recommended temps (usually 30), tumble drying these clothes is a no no as the OP has found out.

You can happily wash clothes using a detergent that doesnt have a conditioner (Bold 2 in 1 is bad, its the one that has a combined conditioner) and it'll keep its waterproofness no problems, just do the odd grangers wash every now and then.
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    I did this with a large pair, got an XL now and after shrinking fit perfect :)
  • kenan wrote:

Funnily enough this thread has given me an idea, I was thinking only last week how I'm going to need new clothes (cycling and otherwise) as I've lost nearly 4 stone since about 20 months ago.

This tumble dryer tactic could save me a lot of money if it works out right. :)
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    kenan wrote:

Funnily enough this thread has given me an idea, I was thinking only last week how I'm going to need new clothes (cycling and otherwise) as I've lost nearly 4 stone since about 20 months ago.

This tumble dryer tactic could save me a lot of money if it works out right. :)
    To get the right fit, get into the clothes while tumble drying, youll get a better fit :wink:

PS Well done 4stone Wow
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Jimbob_no5
    Jimbob_no5 Posts: 1,568
    ive tumble dryed mine before that i have for the yard, mine didn't shrink at all
    Pinkbike

I believe in only 2 things in life.
    1) Drink is not my friend
    2) D-Locking cnuts ;)